Radiator on studs on top of bricks (2023 Update)

I need to hang a radiator (160cm wide, 50cm high, total weight around 35kg) via two brackets to a plasterboard wall. The wall is external, so that it has studs (about 12mm deep and 50mm wide) behind the plasterboard and then bricks behind the studs. I am lucky enough to have studs in correspondence of my brackets.

However, I was wondering whether the 12mm depth of the studs would be enough for the screws to bite, or if I should reach to the bricks behind the studs and fix the brackets to them.

If I can use the studs, how do I make sure that the screws go through the whole 12mm, given that this will be prevented by them hitting the bricks?

Thanks.

Reply to
phloaw phloaw

Hanging a radiator that weighs 35 kg on a plasterboard wall can be a bit tricky, but it is definitely doable with the right hardware and techniques. You are correct that the 12mm depth of the studs might not be enough for the screws to bite. To ensure that the screws go through the whole 12mm and reach the bricks behind the studs, you can use special drywall anchors or toggle bolts. These anchors are designed to be inserted into the plasterboard and then expand behind the wall to provide a secure hold. To install the anchors, you will need to first locate the studs in correspondence with your brackets. Then, you can use a stud finder to mark the location of the anchors on the plasterboard. Next, drill a pilot hole through the plasterboard and into the stud. Finally, insert the anchor into the hole and then tighten the screw until the anchor is flush against the plasterboard. If you decide to fix the bracket to the bricks behind the studs, you'll need a masonry drill bit and masonry screws to secure the bracket to the wall. It's important to keep in mind that hanging a radiator on a plasterboard wall can be challenging and it's always best to consult with a professional plumber or a handyman to ensure the installation is done correctly and safely. They will be able to advise you on the best hardware and techniques to use for your specific situation and will also be able to check if it's up to code.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

Here is a list of tools that you may need to hang a radiator on a plasterboard wall:

• Stud finder • Drill with a pilot hole bit and a masonry drill bit (if you plan to secure the bracket to the bricks) • Measuring tape • Level • Screwdriver • Adjustable wrench or pliers • Drywall anchors or toggle bolts (if you plan to secure the bracket to the studs) • Masonry screws (if you plan to secure the bracket to the bricks) • Wall anchors (if you plan to secure the bracket to the studs) • A ladder (if the wall is high)

It's important to note that these are the tools that are typically needed for this type of job, but the specific tools and hardware needed may vary depending on the individual situation and the type of wall and bracket you are using.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor