Mounting a Bathroom Cabinet to a plasterboard wall - how?

Hi,

I have a bathroom cabinet that is 1m high and 1.5m wide and it will go on a wall that is plasterboard. It weighs about 35 kilos so it's damn heavy!

I do understand that it cant be fixed to plasterboard so we will have to remove that section of plasterboard and attach it to the studs and/or timber studs behind the wall.

My question is, what tools and equipment do I need to "mount" this. What fixings do I need that can handle a 35kg weight for the next 20 years or so?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Djuro.

Reply to
djurornic

That's one monster cabinet - is it made of solid gold? Is it really 35kg???

For that weight, span two studs and use big heavy wood screws (2" long, no

12's) into the assumed-to-be wooden studs.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that. I've yet to check the weight but it's not far off. It's the mirrored doors (x3) that are the heaviest. Will take them off before mounting and check the weight. The carcass is not too heavy.

Thanks again,

Djuro

Reply to
djurornic

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: I've yet to check the weight but it's not far off. It's the mirrored doors (x3) that are the heaviest. Will take them off before mounting and check the weight. The carcass is not too heavy.

You can get away with battens glued to the plasterboard, but what I would do is find the studs and screw a sheet of ply to fit inside the cupboard back, to them.

If it has to be mounted flush and has no side/top overhang remove a square of plasterboard a bit smaller than the unit, and let in a sheet of ply or MDF.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plasterboard is inherently very strong when the loade is applied vertically= down through the sheet. The trick is to keep the load in this direction by= keeping it tight to the wall and not allowing it to rotate outwards. (To i= llustrate this take a sheet of plain A4 paper and rest it across two cups s= et apart. Then test it to see what weight it will carry at mid span. One pe= ncil? two pencils? Very little you will discover. Now take the piece of pap= er and fan fold it into 1" wide strips. Replace it and see what this same s= heet of paper will now carry. Lots more, because the weight is being transf= erred down through the edge of the sheet.I'm keeping this simple. Same prin= ciple applies to applying a load to plasterboard. Not magic, plain engineer= ing principles.)

Fischer provide special fixings for this application. We have used them in = the past to carry very heavy cabinets with complete success. I suggest you contact them and ask their advice as to which of the HM fixin= gs to use and the number required to carry the load. As long as you follow = their instructions to the letter you will be fine.

$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-G7-$MZG-F150&ekat=3D$EKAT-HK-EN

Reply to
fred