Which surface treatment for dusty concrete floor?

I'm about to lay some ceramic tiles on our kitchen floor but the concrete onto which I'm laying it is a bit dusty, i.e it produces dust if swept with a broom.

Is there a surface treatment which will stabilise it so that the tile cement will stick to it?

Reply to
clangers_snout

Yes.

Soak it in 1:1 diluted SBR - ideally as much as it will absorb in one session.

It will set it like a rock through quite a thickness from the surface due to the excellent penetrative powers of SBR.

Tile adhesive loves SBR and it is 100% water resistant (as in the SBR is stable and will not go mushy - it does give some water resiting properties to the substrate but it is not tanking).

Reply to
Tim Watts

IME tile cement will bind up any amount of dust when applied with a spreader. A 10% pva solution makes a good stabiliser to be on the safe side

Reply to
stuart noble

which I'm laying it is a bit dusty, i.e it produces dust if swept with a broom.

will stick to it?

Its no big deal - just slosh water on it before the cement Or use thinned PVA. I've done both. Both work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks to all for the advice.

Reply to