Lifetime garantee

The other day I needed to simply saw off a bit of plastic angle to cover up a bit of edge damage on a shelf, and noticed my trusty junior hacksaw had no blade. I found a packet of new ones which I'd purchased some time ago from a large DIY store, and my friend noticed that the pack said Lifetime guaranteed on it. I pondered this for a while and wondered if this completely meaningless phrase was still in use anywhere. I mean you would not say that about something like a candle, and obviously it could not be said to be of any meaning for a hacksaw blade ether? The first time I encountered this was on Scotch video tapes. I'm sure you recall the animated skeletons saying their tape had a lifetime guarantee. Lifetime of what? Its a bit like what you find on adverts for toothpaste and the like when they say Clinically proven and this is normally uttered by somebody in a white coat.

Back in the day of photographs, I'd often see films for your camera made by Kodak, suggesting you got more vibrant colours than with other films. Most of the variability, at least as far as I knew was down to the development and printing process.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Also who's lifetime a mayfly or a Galapagos Giant Tortoise.

and do they mean if it;s not used i.e. left in the packet .

I'd give it a life for the number of hours burning

of skeleton perhaps

Even I don't wear a white lab coat anymore.

Well not really provided you exposed it, developed it and printed as advised. Kodak was more vibrant which was OK for most things but I prefered Fuji film for things like gigs. Films did have different characteristics.

Now most things are in most parts electronics even pictures lifetime warranties or guarantees have little meaning if any instead a time period or usage is involved.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I thought the "gold" range of films was distinctly nicer for it's colour rendition. Especially at faster speeds.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Brian is as usual wrong.

Kodak colors trashy and vulgar. Best skin toe Konika - the wedding photographers favourite. Agfa had very well rendered greens and was my favourite for landscapes.

Kodachrome very accurate and detailed but colors were muted

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All my Kodachome slides have kept their colours, and most are 50 years old. Unlike deceased FiL's slides, such as when he was doing his National Service in Cyprus in the 50s. SWMBO is going through those now, colours are very muddy. Not sure what he used.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I as the saying goes, reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It probably meant the blades won't snap before the teeth wear down

Made with poor quality wax substitute possibly a candle could simply disuintegrate before beurning right to the ened

The tape won't wear out, before the technology becomes redundant for most users at least. In the small print there will probably be gets outs about the quality deteriorating if used for re-recording over a certain number of times

That usually means it was tested on monkeys or consenting prisoners and it didn't perform noticeably worse then any of any of the competition while their teeth didn't fall out as a result.

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase

You are more cynical than I am!

The slogan of Silit Bang is a little open to interpretation as well. Bang and its gone. Still we can all be happy that Domestos kills 99 percent of all known germs.

Question of the day: Why can't you get those magic markers in white?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because you can use Tipp-Ex.

I don't suppose "white" ink of the sort that could be used in a felt tip pen would be opaque enough without clogging it.

Reply to
Max Demian

"...provided that the tape format is still in normal use," is what is says on the box.

(I sent one back once as it had a horizontal streak; probably because the tape became creased. They sent a replacement, but I still had to pay the postage to them.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Yet it's the other 1% that's the most dangerous & needs killing.

Reply to
wasbit

Why cannot it be the same as other colours. A friend of mine wants to mark some controls on home built gear which happens to have a black front panel. Snopake and the like come with a brush, and hence not very controllable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have a white, extra fine point pen. You just need to shop in the right place.

Reply to
charles

A search for "paint pens" returns numerous options.

Reply to
SteveW

Basf were often making tapes that creased due to their video tape sticking to the guides and slipping on the capstan. If you looked at other makes they often had a dull back coting which stopped the friction being so high The old VCR double deck tapes were the worst for this, as the whole of the top of the drum rotated and could add just enough to the friction so the bottom edge creased on the guides. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

All the new black plastic fibre optic 'lumps' that are attached to BT poles have things written on them in what looks like a gold felt tip pen. I guess it is a special UV resitant marker pen

Would this be ok for your friends need ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew