LG oLED TV

Had one for a few months and generally very pleased. Apart from a fault. FreeView Play mostly doesn't work from the EPG. Either you can't go backwards on the EPG - or if you can get a blank page. Mostly, but not always. Pal has a similar model which is the same. Of course you can go to the BBC site and find the prog (if there) but a faff. So used my Humax PVR instead.

Wrote to LG. Got the usual nonsense about contacting the retailer.

It did a software update yesterday - think the forth since I've had it. And it appears to be fixed. But still doesn't have all the UK TV sites in its apps. Just the four main ones - and lots of others I've never heard of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If you go to its "app store" there should be loads of them there. You can add the ones you want to the shortcut bar if you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes - I think you have to install the app that relates to the content - for example iPlayer for anything on the BBC, All4 for C4, etc. The TV will then go through the rather clunky process of opening the app, and the app plays the content. At least that's how my recent LG OLED works.

Reply to
RJH

I don't think any manufacturer has got this completely right. I think Samsung is about the closest, but even then voiceview or whatever they call it is a bit cludgy, and the AD buttons on the third party apps are not interfacing with the sets internal smarts correctly. I'm happy since I have no intention of throwing away money on all the subscription channels as the so called premium content and boxed sets don't interest me much, and will end up on the free channels once everyone has made their money from them much like recent films. Until they can get their cumulative acts together for a one off price and offer AD they can keep it. Lots of free content on the Samsung, from Pluto Sophie and others, the problem is that as these are just streamed you have no AD, but if its documentaries then most are narrated. Films a are a bit of a problem however. If one wants a better experience people in my circle of friends suggest ignoring the apps and using an Amazon Fire stick instead, which seems to do a better job all round for online content with ad and more consistent interface. It does mean yet another remote or doing it via Alexa or your mobile however. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

I had a similar problem with an LG LED and the EPG. I complained to LG tech at first, who reffered me to the retailer, who obviously couldn't help with dud LG firmware. I then found the email address of the LG European MD, wrote to him about the problem, threatened to return it and a week later it was fixed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

The BBC, ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 ones all already installed. UK TV (Drama Channel etc not)

It's hardly rocket science for them to know which ones are likely to be used since it has FreeView.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

When was that? And via an auto software update? Spoke to my mate and his is fixed too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes, agreed, you have to install (and activate) separately. The EPG is 'dumb' until you install the app.

I'm sure they have their reasons.

Reply to
RJH

In what way 'fixed'?

Do you mean the firmware update leads to the installation of all apps needed for the Freeview Play thing to function?

Reply to
RJH

It came with the ones I mentioned already installed. But the EPG was 'dumb' (intermittently) until the last software update.

I can't find an obvious way of removing the ones I'll never use and adding those I want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You could try reading my earlier post. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes OK! I think you were saying that the apps needed to support the EPG weren't loaded by default, and a firmware update was needed for that - fair enough. I 'got around' that by adding them manually.

But then I only 'Favourite' 20 or so channels and 6 of those are news - so I don't use the Freeview Play much, and across a limited range of channels. Not, therefore. especially qualified to comment :-)

Reply to
RJH

I've never loaded any apps on any TV to use the 'smart' play feature of the EPG. Clicking on the 'old' prog you want to watch on the EPG loads the appropriate software automatically. Not sure if you have to register first time you use it, though.

But to go to say the BBC i-player, to find a prog that isn't on the EPG, you obviously have to load it, by going to the apps page?

I find it extremely useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You mean off the angled tile strip that shows up at the bottom of the screen when you push the "Home" button?

Click on the "pen" to edit, select a button, and then the should be a "cross" icon to delete it.

Reply to
John Rumm