LG TV - sudden behaviour change ?

4 year old LG "Smart" 3D-TV.

Until Thursday, when switched on, and on the HDMI-1 channel, which the TiVo box is connected to, if the TiVo was off, after about 5s, there would be a message about "No Input" with an option to turn the TiVo on via the smart remote, or close. Close took you to the next menu for "input list".

Now, when turned on with HDMI-1 not on, it just sits there.

No updates to TV *or* TiVo box for a while.

Any ideas ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Have you tried a factory reset?

Reply to
Richard

How do you know there has not been an over air update? The Manufacturers take it in turns to use an over air slot to update their products. Sometimes you can find the schedules online on DTV websites.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not sure about your LG but my Samsung uses the CEC protocol to communicate to devices via HDMI. As I recall, the TV acts as the controller and the oth ers communicate via it.

A few times I had various weird behaviour and resetting it seemed to fix it . I disconnected all devices from the TV and unplugged the TV for a few min s. Then added them back one at a time until they were all registered correc tly. The other issue I had was that one of the devices needed to be powered on otherwise it seemed to screw up everything else.

Reply to
leenowell

SOP for shitty Samdung junk.

Reply to
Huge

The TV definitely not - it's set to "prompt for update".

Annoyingly I've just checked the TiVo, and it doesn't have that setting (I thought it did. But then it's so rarely used these days). The revision it's reporting doesn't indicate when it was released.

Leads to a subsequent question - if it is the TiVo that has changed, then how ?

- Ah, just had a thought. Maybe the TV has "forgotten" that the smart remote was programmed for the TiVo ????? Must check later.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

People still use TiVos? They were cutting edge 20 years but there's little reason to buy one now it seems to me.

Reply to
boltar

Is that the protocol where turning the TiVo on should switch on-and-to that HDMI feed ? I have a vague memory from early days that Virgin crippled that in the TiVo.

However the TV *is* capable of controlling the TiVo ... it's how the "smart remote" works. The remote controls the TV which in turn controls the TiVo. Which is why the TV *used to* give an option to turn the TiVo on, if it found no signal on the HDMI channel it had been told the TiVo lived on.

In the grand scheme of things, it's no problem at all - I just have to go to input select directly rather than as I have done. It's just the change in behaviour that intrigues me. Very much a symptom of modern living where an upgrade can bugger all sorts of things up, but no one GAS.

Rather like Android 7.1.1. killing call recording.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You can't buy them in the UK. Virgin have sole rights and rent them.

I suspect the folks at TiVo central wish they'd not done that, as the first thing Virgin did was to cripple the TiVos - and keep them that way.

The only reason I have one is Virgin would charge at least as much for broadband only on a residential "bundle" - or so it works out every time I complain.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Same as they do to their routers then. Seems each iteration reduces what you can do with them in the admin account.

I have virgin broadband but only for internet. I find there's too much on freeview for me to watch as it is without paying for cable TV but obviously everyone is different.

Reply to
boltar

I'm sure I read somewhere that this feature is going to be dropped, so unless you have a broadband connection no updates will be installed.

Reply to
Andrew

You left out the "IMHO"[1] in that 'statement of fact'. :-)

[1] Exceptionally in this case, the 'H' stands for 'Huge' rather than 'Humble'.
Reply to
Johnny B Good

How are they 'crippled'?

Reply to
Vidcapper

Can't access local network.

Can't be controlled via webpage. (No, I don't want a shitty Virgin "app" to do it).

This is the 4-channel one. Can't speak for the 6 channel one.

I don't know if the US TiVos encrypt recordings, but Virgin do - meaning a drive failure loses you all your recorded content.

Reply to
Jethro_uk