I cut through the cable!

Outside with my electric hedge trimmer thingy I didn't get much done because there was a visible flash and a quiet 'pop' as I cut through the power cable.
I repaired it with a cable connector fitting, and was suprised to find no fuse blown, nothing tripped. Is that normal? or desirable?
TW
On 10/06/2018 20:15, TimW wrote:

Normal half the time.
--
Adam

TimW wrote:

Is the circuit on a RCD? If not then fitting one e.g. at the socket you're likely to feed garden tools from is a good idea.
On 10/06/2018 20:21, Andy Burns wrote:

I don't see how cutting through a L+N cable with double insulated hedge trimmers is going to trip any RCD.
There should be no passage of current to earth, assuming the cable landed somewhere dryish.
Fredxx wrote:

Depends if the business-end is in contact with the greenery at the time?
If it only nicks the insulation, it could prevent a shock for anyone touching it afterwards
On 10/06/2018 20:48, Andy Burns wrote:

The advantage of the RCD is not that it necessarily will trip when cut, but it will protect the operator after when there is a risk of contact with an exposed conductor.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:10:47 +0100, John Rumm

What fool would pick up the exposed end and suck it?

Surely that last is very unlikely anywhere on that soggy little island outside ?
And arent extension cords normally L+N+E anyway ?
On 10/06/2018 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:

Hedge cutters are normally just L and N.
--
Adam

wrote

Yes, but surely the extension cord used isnt ?
It’s the extension cord that’s cut usually.

Many UK domestic extension leads are L and N only, particularly (possibly only?) the orange ones? Presumably because most drills etc. are two core only.
--
Graeme

A mower extension with those funny connectors maybe, but not one with a normal UK socket on the end, otherwise you could be plugging in things without earthing them, and that would upset the nanny state.
On 10/06/2018 21:57, Rod Speed wrote:

NO, IME it's usually the trimmer cable, about a foot from the body of the trimmer.
On 11/06/2018 07:55, Chris Bartram wrote:

Of course it is. The extention lead is on the floor and the trimmer cable is close to the blade.
How long do you think the hedge cutter lead lasted on the hedge cutters I bought on Saturday:-)?
I gave them to my next door neighbour and said "I'll give you £20 to cut my hedge"
The RCD did not trip but the 20A outside sockets MCB did.
--
Adam

On 11/06/2018 18:03, ARW wrote:

My neighbour is a serial offender on this. Practically every time he uses them.

:-) I've blown the plug fuse before now, and not tripped the RCD. I supopose if the blade shorts L-N with no earth path that'll happen.
On 10/06/18 21:05, ARW wrote:

this one was just the two, blue and brown. TW

Something purchased as a separate extension cable for use with various tasks normally are,
The long cable that comes with tools like trimmers,mowers, leaf blowers is often not if the item is double insulated but these don’t terminate in a 3 pin socket but various designs of two pin sockets that may just suit the manufactures range. In use they are often long enough to reach from socket to work location so they aren’t really an “extension cable”.
GH

Those mains powered appliances normally have a very short attached cord which plugs into an extension cord using a normal mains plug;
Rod Speed laid this down on his screen :

That is not my experience in the UK. If fitted with a 13amp plug, they are usually many yards long from the appliance. Those fitted with shorter leads are usually two pin inline type sockets, to match a similar extension, which eventually terminates in a 13amp plug. A short length of flex terminating in a 13amp plug, makes them very awkward to use, the plug and socket catches on various things in use - so a bit of a liability.
On 11/06/2018 13:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

+1
Using twin (L+N) cables.