Connecting a Raspberry Pi to an old TV

Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC monitors we have use VGA.
The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I did find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on the back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary audio lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch. What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?
Thanks.
--
Graeme

On 20/06/2012 14:04, News wrote:

If you're using the SCART input, tuning doesn't come into it - should be on 'AV' or 'video'.
On 20/06/2012 14:04, News wrote:

Connect it as you described with the phono and scart adaptor and select the AV input on the TV. The Pi's output is composite video.
News wrote:

You won't find the Pi's output by tuning, you'll have to switch input to e.g. AV1 for the scart.
On 20/06/2012 14:16, Andy Burns wrote:

Also it depends if the scart adaptor is an input or an output scart adaptor. The scart pin out is at https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scart+pinout&hl=en&biw 66&bihp5&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_dPhT4bfBaSa0QXUpsy3Aw&sqi=2&ved G8QsAQ.
You may need to move a wire. Gary
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:46:53 +0100, Gary wrote:

+pinout&hl=en&biw66&bihp5&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_dPhT4bfBaSa0QXUpsy3Aw&sqi=2&ved G8QsAQ.
Or, on some of them (the ones I get) move a switch on the SCART adaptor.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On others there is an AV button on the remote. On others there is an AV button on the front panel. The AV button has an icon if a square with an arrow pointing towards it. Pressing it cycles through the available inputs (SCART 1, SCART 2, PHONO FRONT PANEL, TV) Not all TVs have the full range of inputs.
On 20/06/2012 14:48, Steve Firth wrote:

Some SCART inputs can be switched between RGB and Composite, so that may also need to be set - the 4th input on our TV can be RGB, Composite or SVHS and can only be set from a menu accessed via the remote.
SteveW
In message <1827996256361892468.768080%steve%- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.or

Thank you. I have changed the SCART adaptor to one that is switchable, but do not seem to be any further forward. However, I have found a picture of the TV remote control :
http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/163450-sony-rm-694-old-how-tune-tv.htm l
http://preview.tinyurl.com/89trfrr
I'm assuming the AV button is bottom row, second in from the left?
--
Graeme

News wrote:

I'd say the key to the right of the '9' or possible the one below that, the key you'd indicated looks like it only does something when the remote is in a specific "mode"

No, that's more like a memory store function. I agree with Andy.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

I could be wrong, but I think it is the column furthest to the right (column that has the on/off button at the top), fourth button down counting from the top. Of course Sony aren't greatly consistent so it could be the one that you indicate.
Well assuming the device is putting out composite video, then the single socket on the scart adapto and the switch to input should work if you select the right input.
What is the form of the video out though?
Brian
In message <1827996256361892468.768080%steve%- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.or

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!
Got it :-)
Not entirely sure how, but I suddenly have what looks like a DOS menu. Now the fun begins.
--
Graeme

Type:
wget -O rtb http://unicorn.drogon.net/rtb/rtb-armel chmod +x rtb ./rtb -l
for that true vintage experience ;-)
Gordon
Well its a Unix machine innit?
Brian
On 20/06/2012 18:02, News wrote:

try typing startx followed by enter to start up the GUI which should come up in colour.
--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Pete Shew wrote:

Unless he has a functional flash card with linux, that will be the boot loader I'd guess..
I believe you download a linux image and put it on a flash card and then it will boot that.

He said he had a DOS like prompt - I assumed that he has a Linux image on his flash card already to get that far.
I haven't tried booting without the flash card installed.
--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes

If there's no SD card, nothing happens. The GPU pulls its code off the SD, then the GPU starts the CPU. No SD card, no code, nowt.
Theo