Connecting a security camera DVR to a TV

I acquired a small DVR to record the output of security cameras at my house. I want to connect the DVR to a TV in order to set up the DVR. The video output on the DVR is a mini-jack socket. The cable supplied with the DVR has a mini-jack at one end and a couple of phono plugs on the other end. On my TV, all I have is an arial socket and a SCART socket. How do I connect the DVR to my TV?

My TV is currently connected to a DVD player, which does have a phono socket on the back, labelled "video". Can I safely connect the DVR to that socket and hope to see the setup screen on my TV?

Thanks...

JakeD

Reply to
JakeD

The phono on the DVD is more likely to ba an output, than an input

Try something like this

adapter likely to be cheaper elsewhere

Reply to
Andy Burns

You probably want something like

dennis

Andy Burns wrote in news:dZSdnWx1HO4 snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

JakeD

Reply to
JakeD

I don't believe you:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"dennis@home" wrote in news:4e81ce91$0$31975$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thanks - I have ordered one. ...Meanwhile, I have just noticed that my old VHS video player has a phono socket on the front labelled "video in". If I plug the DVR's video output to that, and connect the video player to my TV using the usual SCART lead, should I then be able to see the input from my DVR?

TIA

JakeD

Reply to
JakeD

I would expect to. Try it, you aren't going to break anything connecting composite video signals even if you connect two outputs.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, but you have to select the "AV" or Line in " option. If it's not a separate button it will be a "channel" below channel 1

Reply to
Graham.

"Graham." wrote in news:j5u1lb$q5u$1@profound- observation.eternal-september.org:

Thank you.. Yes, it worked, after several presses of the AV channel button!

One more qn.. If I get a Adio/Video (phono) to USB cable,

would that enable me to view the output of the DVR on a PC? Or is something more elaborate needed, like a special card?

JakeD

Reply to
JakeD

You should be able to view and record if it does what it says. however I have never seen one that cheap. Nor have I seen a TV which can use a usb video capture device. they are usually about £10.

Reply to
dennis

That one specifically mentions that your PC won't be able to use it to view analogue video.

Any of the units on this page will:-

just search for "USB video converter" without the qutes. £20 upwards.

Reply to
John Williamson