Connecting soundbar to new TV

Hope someone can help.

Trying to connect sound bar to new TV.

Sound bar has white & red female sockets.

Old TV had white & red female sockets - simples!

New fangled TV has one yellow female, & came with an adapter which has a single yellow male joined to 1 x red, 1 x white, 1 x yellow females.

Logic told me to connect red/red & white/white ignoring yellow.

But it don't not work :-(

Reply to
David Lang

Have you tried to read the book of the tv to explain the function of the yellow socket?

Traditionally yellow has been used for composite video

Reply to
Bob Minchin

David Lang scribbled

No HDMI connectors?

Reply to
Jonno

It only says they are AV connections.

Reply to
David Lang

Not on the soundbar, that only has the red/white thingys.

Reply to
David Lang

Might be audio/composite IN like for an old camcorder or game console.

Does said TV have a Scart socket? Not many new ones do any more, but if has then that might work (depending on how the TV has it configured) - scart to phono adapter has to be wired for audio OUT from the tv though.

Failing that and assuming you don't want to replace the soundbar, there are hdmi to phono adapters....

Reply to
Lee

Bob Minchin wrote in news:mt1b7f $reg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Do you have to select the sound output to go to the external socket rather than the built in speakers?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Does it have a toslink optical input? These are very common on soundbars, and are often covered by a black or grey cover which make them hard to spot.

Reply to
Caecilius

Yellow is composite video; you can ignore it. The convention for audio is that red carries the right hand channel and white the left. If a straightforward red-red, white-white connection isn't working, the problem is in your settings, not your hardware. Check both the TV and the soundbar setup guides. When the soundbar is connected, does the TV sound still come out of the set's internal speakers?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Seems to me that he's trying to connect input-input. The composite panel is to take video and audio in, not out.

Either TV headphone-out -> soundbar-in, or better still, as Caeclius suggests, seek out the TV optical.

Reply to
RJH

Doesn't seem to be an option on the 'sound' menu to do that.

Reply to
David Lang

There is a scart on the TV, which struck me as unusual.

I'll have a look. Ta.

Reply to
David Lang

Definitely not :-(

Reply to
David Lang

Yes, as it did previously.

Reply to
David Lang

David Lang scribbled

Have you setup the tv to use external speakers?

Reply to
Jonno

Audio out is available from scart pins 1 & 3 with ground on 4.

Reply to
John Rumm

Having spent far too long helping son connect far too many consoles and stuff to TVs, I think David needs to try a Phono to Scart In/Out converter, like eBay item 151797556669. Well, that is what I would try.

Reply to
News

Have you connected something else to the sound bar to make sure it is working? like a radio or something using the sockets on the sound bar you are trying to use for the TV sound.

Reply to
Gary

There doesn't seem to be that option on the menu.

Reply to
David Lang

Are you sure there is a sound output from the TV?

If not - use the SCART and an adaptor. Make sure it is configured for output and not input.

Reply to
DerbyBorn