TV turns itself off & on ..

Hi all ; My old fat-screen 32 inch RCA has taken on a mind of its own - - it has started to turn itself OFF & ON after working for 20 minutes or so. I took the batteries out of the remote to see if it was causing the trouble - it made no difference. Any ideas ? I like to keep stuff from the re-cycle / garbage bin, if I can. John T.

hubops

I also like to keep things out of the landfill if at all possible but I don't think I'd bother repairing an old CRT set.

I tossed mine out 25 years ago and never replaced it.

No TV at all and I don't miss it.

Reply to
philo

There may not be anything wrong with the tv. You may have a neighbor using the same remote codes for their tv or something else. Or some other electrical devices nearby. Take it to a distant friends house and try it there. In the meantime, plug it into a power strip and shut off the power switch on the strip when not using the tv. If it shuts off when you are watching it, just turn it back on.

Ask your close neighbors what sort of remotes/tv's they have. You can look up the codes on the web, on a Universal Remote website.

This sort of thing will be more and more of a problem as we keep adding more and more wireless devices in our lives. They all run on radio waves and there are only so many to choose from. Neighboring garage door openers are a common problem for *your* garage door opener. That happens regularly.

Reply to
J.T

My 32" Sony CRT TV (PIP) started out doing the same thing. It eventually got worse and died, soon after. If you live in an urban area, you might be able to find a repair shop. Otherwise, toss it b4 it becomes too expensive to salvage and get a flat-panel TV. Prolly cheaper than repairing the CRT beast. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

TV remotes use infra-red so can't work through walls!

Kenny Cargill

There may not be anything wrong with the tv. You may have a neighbor using the same remote codes for their tv or something else. Or some other electrical devices nearby. Take it to a distant friends house and try it there. In the meantime, plug it into a power strip and shut off the power switch on the strip when not using the tv. If it shuts off when you are watching it, just turn it back on.

Ask your close neighbors what sort of remotes/tv's they have. You can look up the codes on the web, on a Universal Remote website.

This sort of thing will be more and more of a problem as we keep adding more and more wireless devices in our lives. They all run on radio waves and there are only so many to choose from. Neighboring garage door openers are a common problem for *your* garage door opener. That happens regularly.

Reply to
Kenny

Thanks for the reply. The neighbours' remotes are not the problem - various reasons.

- it will cycle randomly and with increasing frequency -

- once it starts .. up to every 1 or 2 minutes - .. even at 1 oclock in the morning. I cleaned the vent slots and opened it up - to wiggle a few connections on the board - and look for any obvious issues .. nada .

John T.

hubops

Yep. Thanks. Agree. I wasn't planning to pay a repairman to look at this OLD 2006 TV ! from the electronic masters in Mexico. But if I could save it - I'd try. It's a very heavy, very awkward bugger ! .. when I opened it up - a fairly small board & power unit -

- the size & weight was all CRT glass. John T.

hubops

You probably have some electrolytic caps that have gone south in the power supply and/or decoupling for one of the CPU's inside. So, the "power" that the devices (e.g., CPU) see is flakey.

It's probably repairable but probably not worth the money it would cost you (unless you are comfortable doing those sorts of repairs yourself)

Reply to
Don Y

BTW, you may discover that you have to *pay* to dispose of it! If so, see if your municipality has a periodic "hazardous waste" disposal program (first saturday of every month, that sort of thing) where they will take it off your hands for you.

Here, some places charge a flat $10 to dispose of it; others do so by *weight* (so bigger tubes cost more).

Reply to
Don Y

I'm in southern Ontario. I believe that the electronic recyclers have some sort of "agreement" ... nudge wink .. They still _pay_ for electronic waste. Hazardous wastes chemicals / batteries / etc have special pick-up dates. John T.

hubops

I put a dead 32" TV out on the curb, on a designated pick up date for electronics, it was gone before the garbage guys got there.

It depends where you live.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Our local disposal charges $1 per half inch. That's almost $65 for a

32 incher! 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yep!

In the San Francisco Bay Area (SFBA), there was place in Berkeley that would take any electronics for free. Here in CO, it's become state law that all electronics must be disposed of by a commercial company. Bring $$$$!

nb

Reply to
notbob

Most likely you have something in the power supply going bad. It'll get worse and worse until it won't turn on at all. Bad cap(s). or HV fly back circuit, etc. I don't think it is worth an effort to repair.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A decade or two ago tehre were reports of the (then) new compact fluorescents strobbing in a way that would sometimes spoof infra red remote controls.

The original poster might check and see if there any of them around...

Reply to
danny burstein

When I was a kid we had a TV with one of the original "clacker" remotes. There were 2 big buttons on the remote. One "rotated" through power/volume: ON - Low - Medium - High - OFF - ON - Low - Medium - High - OFF - etc.

The other controlled a motor that physically rotated the channel knob in one direction.

When you pressed a button a spring loaded hammer would hit a metal bar inside the remote and the vibration would emit a frequency that would control the TV.

We discovered that my father's keys could be used to change the channel just by shaking them In front of the TV. The vacuum cleaner would turn it On and Off and change the volume.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Electrolytic capacitors do go bad after awhile. Too many times I see swollen ones on the power bus in flat screens and PC motherboards.

Reply to
Steve Stone

I found no TV on the grass next to the curb yesterday. I took home no TV and now I have no TV more today than yesterday.

Reply to
micky

I'm having trouble with my computer speakers, so I took the wireless speaker from the bathroom and it's right next to my chair. So I'm running wirelessly 4 feet.

Tomorrow I'll try to fix the wired speakers, or the next day.

Reply to
micky

This is a riddle, correct? Try and explain it?

"and on some days, he went all the way up to the

13th floor" kind of thing?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon