TV turns itself off & on ..

...you must have me blocked then...

Reply to
bob_villa

... my brand new $ 600. LG 42 inch LED seems to provide a poorer picture quality than the old 32 inch RCA CRT that it's replacing ! ... could it be the cable ? or something else ? It's fed by a Bell Expressvue satellite dish. Or is it just a matter of my eyes adjusting to the change ? John T.

hubops

Yeah. That didn't seem like him. Dishonest and all that.

Reply to
micky

Do you know what brand you have? There's inexpensive, and then there is that Tmart spam I get, and buy.com, with stuff so cheap I'm sure it doesn't work or doesn't work well.

IIRC, I bought a phone from buy.com and something was missing or didn't work and they woudln't send it to me. They said they only shipped whole items, and I pointed out that they sold this separately, but they still wouldn't send it.

Very good.

Reply to
micky

You are referring to the "later" Radar. Early on, Radar was not such a nice guy.

Channeling a younger Radar, I stole the following from:

======

"On television, Radar's character started off as worldly and sneaky, a cler k who carried with him at all times a pocketful of passes for any potential scam that might arise. He also sold tickets to the male members of MASH so they could take turns sneaking looks through a peephole in the nurses' showers and also used his camera to sneak pictures of the nurses showering.

He also won over $800 in poker playing with members of MASH and dismantled a jeep and smuggled it home piece by piece. He once conned the entire company of MASH 4077 into buying a pair of wing-tip shoes-although he was once conned himself into spending over $50.00 for a improved writing course by mail-which nearly drove Col. Potter crazy trying to read the daily reports.

He was known for his tremendous appetite for heaping portions of meat. He was also not averse to drinking Col. Blake's brandy and smoking his cigars when the colonel was off-duty. This character was apparently not wholly to the writers' liking and he later became a naive and trusting farm boy, a vegetarian, and cigars and strong liquor made him ill or dizzy. His favorit e beverage was a grape Nehi (non-alcoholic)."

======

There are also rumors that while Radar was (later on) a real nice guy on sc reen, at least one cast member claimed "Gary Burghoff may well have been th e best actor in the company" possibly meaning that the "nice guy act" was n othing more than that. Off camera, Burghoff was apparently not a very nice guy.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can get an A-B switch to switch from the cable input to a standard antenna. You can get one with remote control so you don't have to get up (I have that.), and maybe you can just connect both the cable and the antenna with a $2-5 splitter (a joiner connected backwards) and I think their signals are on separate frequencies that won't interfere with each other.

Reply to
micky

I don't remember that, but I remember when they didn't broadcast in color at all.

"This program has been brought to you in compatible color"

which I didn't understand for another 30 years. Compatible meaning black & white sets could understand it and show the picture in black and white, and the opposite too, which iirc meant when they sent a black and white show in compatible color, the color sets would render it in black and white.

Reply to
micky

We went through that in another recent thread. If you combine the cable together with an antenna using the typical splitter, you will be driving the antenna with the cable company's signals and radiating them to the neighborhood. Cable companies and the FCC don't like that. IDK what exactly an antenna has to do with his issues anyway.

Reply to
trader_4

Check all your connections. What had been a perfect picture from my VCR got quite bad. When I got behind the equipment, I found the F-connector practically falling out of its jack behind the DVDR. Either the outside/ground was barely touching the outside of the jack, or it wasn't touching at all. I thought I put it in right, but it was hard to turn the nut at that angle.

Consider speed adapters/connectors, that screw on to the F-connector and then push on to the jack. Really only needed if you're going to be disconnecting and connnecting, but in this case it would have helped me. They also make right-angle adapters, which can make the connectors stick backwards less, and not hit the back of the shelf.

Reply to
micky

Is the box HD? You're connected to the HD outputs? Via HDMI? Component video?

If you take a standard def source and blow it up to 42", it's going to look poor. An HD source should look excellent on a 42", much better than a std def source on a 32". So, something it's right and I doubt it's your eyes.

Reply to
trader_4

I remember when the NBC peacock would *start* spreading its feathers in B&W and *finish* in "living color".

I also remember home-made bomb shelters in basements, dental "drills" that were powered with cords on a cascade of articulated pulleys, kerosene "bombs" (bowling balls with lit wicks) in construction areas (instead of the orange dunce caps or blinking saw horses), fluoroscopes in shoe stores, "whites only" water fountains, Georgia chain gangs, etc.

cripes, seems like ancient history! :-/

Reply to
Don Y

Do you have an HD receiver? If not, the picture is not up to top quality. You should see a definite difference compared to a CRT.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Talk about a loose connection, when I lived in a 1930 building, in a very small room (meant to be the maid's room) and the landlord failed to provide heat, I used an electric heater, in 1978 or so. 48 year old receptacle. I could tell it wasnt' tight but didn't think much about it. Heater worked fine. The heater too was old, maybe also from about

1930. Its plug was fine, made from hard rubber. One morning I wake up and see a 1- to 2-inch flame coming from the heater plug. I don't know what woke me up or how long the flame had been there. (I assumed at the time that it just started, and later the plug seemed undamaged or just barely burnt, but who knows? I still have that heater. I should check.)

I reach for the cord to pull it out, and the girl I was with was awake too and pulled my arm back before I could reach it. Did the same thing again. I don't know what was wrong with her. Panic, I guess. Glad I was stronger than she was, When I realized she would resist, I pushed harder and pulled out the plug and the flame disappeared almost immediately

The one-outlet receptacle wall plate had 10 or 20 layers of paint so I didn't want to take it off to replace the receptacle, so I just didnt' plug a heater (1000 watts) in there anymore, and I must not have needed a heater anymore as long as I lived there. It worked fine with just a TV. (I guess I should have replaced it. Could have cut the paint with a knife or razor knife. I didn't like to bother the landlord and I did better work than he did.)

Maybe still.

Reply to
micky

Even more important, non-geared can openers.

Reply to
Vic Smith

We actually have used one of those for > 20 years. One less thing to clutter up the counters! Our old one died recently so we spent weeks searching for a good replacement. (get older and your hands have more of a say in what they are willing to do!)

Reply to
Don Y

Thanks. Looking at it now.

Reply to
micky

Worked for me.

Reply to
micky

Ah ha ! Sorry - I'm a luddite. Is there some sort of conversion device / connector ? It's an old-ish satellite receiver - not HD.. connected with the same cable that the old TV used. The receiver also has S-Video and the 3 RCA AA/V jacks. The TV has the cable ; 5 RCA ; 3 USB ; 3 HDMI. I much appreciate the help - thanks guys. ... to think that I once enjoyed delving into this sort of NEW TOY / NEW TECH stuff ! ? John T. < just another old fart >

hubops

... ahhh .. gulp .. nope. Just an old regular sat receiver .. I got a feeling I'm not finished spending money quite yet .. John T.

hubops

Bwahaha! When it comes to consumer electronics, you're NEVER finished spending money!

Reply to
Don Y