Connecting soundbar to new TV

Make and model of TV?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On the off-chance this isn't a wind-up.

Download or view the PDF of the manual for the TV, off of the web - always far easier than faffing around with the paper version

Starting at the top do a search for "external" which should throw up a succession of matches one of which should eventually be for sound sources, maybe even "speaker select". Follow what it says on there.

michael adams

michael adams

Needs to get a man in to sort it.

Reply to
Richard

In message , DerbyBorn writes

See my earlier comment. The widget I referenced is switchable (in/out) and, at the price, is well worth trying.

Reply to
News

Most of these fangled bits seem to interconnect using fibre optic cables witch suggests its digital. The analogue sockets may now be replaced by a

3.5 jack socket which doubles as headphones on the tv. The problem to me is that standards seem to be there to be busted and modified as people see fit. The grotty headphone jack on a set top p box needs cleaning every week to stop one or both channels going intermittent. Heap of rubbish. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

AV nearly always stood for Awfully Vague according to one chap who tried to decypherto decypher oriental pictogram instructions for me.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wonder if the yellow thingy is one of those awful multi connection jack plugs. I've had a few tussles with those before. Are you reading this Creative labs?

They often have three channels and an earth, as you surmise, but often need to be really hard inserted or the wrong bits go to the bands on the plug. How much extra would it have cost to just chuck three phono sockets on the back one wonders.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That I think is TMH's problem the yellow/red/white phonos on the TV are an input to the TV not an output. Though there is normally a clue given by the use of the words "IN" or "OUT" in the labeling. Less obvious is a box with an arrow pointing in for an input, and out for an output, this maybe just moulded into the case.

Switchable SCART lead won't help if the SCART socket is configured as an input or can only be an input.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is it facing south or east?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Polaroid Series 5

Reply to
David Lang

Precise model (not to say size!) matters.

Reply to
Robin

Yes. Likely a games input.

Plenty of modern TVs have no obvious analogue output at all - other than perhaps a headphone one. But often do have a Toslink.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whats a toslink?

Reply to
David Lang

Digital audio, usually over a low-end fibre optic connector, but can also use an RCA/phone connector (like your red/white ones)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unnecessary?

A sound bar, presumingly bought near the same price point as the television, is nothing more than two speakers and a bassy woofer in the same box. Not Dolby surround multi-channel fancy wossits.

Just sling a pound-shop 3.5mm to stereo phono cable from the TV's headphone socket to the sound bar.

If we had a model number (or both items), we could perhaps find other places a cable could be fitted, but probably it won't make much difference.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Richard scribbled

A young man, about 9 years old.

Reply to
Jonno

It worked on the TV before, if previous posts are anything to go by.

Reply to
John Rumm

David Lang scribbled

If you will buy from ASDA...

Reply to
Jonno

Jonno wrote in news:MPG.305fccb3614f214c9898bd@127.0.0.1:

I once overhead an old guy saying, "these will be good because Polaroid made good(!) cameras"

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Reply to
David Lang