ceiling gap flood route plug

I've put sloping kingspan boards on my bathroom ceiling with a gap between such that when the next freeze and thaw comes and the pipes above burst the water will come down the gap between the boards.

Now I want to seal the gap against draughts with something that will burst or dissolve when the flood comes so that the whole ceiling doesnt collapse.

Ideas for what to plug the gap with please?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Tampax.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

papier mache.

Or use a more decorative strip of something and stick it on with water- soluble glue

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't be stupid, they swell when wet and don't burst which is the opposite of what's wanted. He would be better off with rolled up bog roll.

Reply to
dennis

but warm moist air would permeate through it and cause condensation.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Why not re-route the pipes *under* the Kingspan, so that they *don't* freeze and burst?!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Then what is he going to do on those dark winter nights when he comes home from work and there is no leccy to watch the telly with until he fixes...errr.. Wait...

Ummm.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

next year or the year after i may reroute plumbing and header tanks , but theres a metal tank to cut up and remove,

i'm just doing this temporoary for a few winters while i do more important DIY projects on the building.

owain's idea is the best so far.

[g]

[g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

fibreglass. Water can run through it, and when wet it will jsut fall out if it gets the chance.

NT

Reply to
NT

I've put sloping kingspan boards on my bathroom ceiling with a gap between such that when the next freeze and thaw comes and the pipes above burst the water will come down the gap between the boards.

Now I want to seal the gap against draughts with something that will burst or dissolve when the flood comes so that the whole ceiling doesnt collapse.

Ideas for what to plug the gap with please?

Nothing.............

Leave a frost stat unit running to prevent the freeze in the first place or heat tape the pipes concerned with self regulating tape made for the purpose.

Reply to
Londonman

yes, fibreglass wool, then glue a plastic vapour barrier below it such that the weight of the water will snap the plastic.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]