Stud wall on chipboard floor located between joists

I want to move a radiator which is fixed to a stud wall, this will mean re-routing pipes. Before started to lift the chipboard floor I checked the stud wall and found that it is on the chipboard floor and between joists. Some of the chipboard sheet runs into the next room so if I cut the board part of the stud will lie over an unsupported chipboard sheet.

Has anyone come across this situation before and what's the best way to handle it.

Many Thanks

Reply to
ernie

2 options 1 - lift the chip, insert noggins 2 - build the wall on top of the chipfloor. This works fine in practice.

NT

Reply to
NT

Are you sure that there aren't any noggins between the joists to support the wall? If there *are*, they will also provide some support for the cut chipboard.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I haven't lifted any chipboard yet. I'll probably lift one of the smaller end pieces and have a look underneath. Maybe they did put in the noggins to suport the wall.

Thanks

Reply to
ernie

Don't be too disappointed if you find they haven't. A lot of British homes are put up on price-work by speculator who don't know any better. Just content yourself with the idea you are not alone. HTH.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer