Makeup Air for Bath Fan and Door Gap

It seems to me that when a bathroom fan is running with the door closed, the makeup air comes primarily from the gap between the door and the floor. Is there a formula or rule of thumb for the needed area of this gap depending on the CFM of the fan?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Around 250 FPM max

Reply to
DDR

250???? Christ mine are 70-80. An inch would probably be enough.. WAG
Reply to
SQLit

ASHRAE recommends 200-300 FPM through the undercut area of doors to minimize drafts and not cause a noticeable resistance when opening the closed door. The pressure loss at these velocities are negligible.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Reply to
DDR

I assume FPM is "feet per minute", and you are calculating this by dividing the CFM of the fan by the square footage of the opening?

Right now I have a half bath with a 50 CFM fan, so I should have at least 50/250 = 0.2 ft^2 of gap. With a 28" door, that's 1" of gap, so my current 7/8" is marginal. In the full bath with a 80 CFM fan and a

28" door, I need to have 1.6" of gap at the bottom. Do these numbers seem right?

An FPM of 80 sounds crazy, since, for example, a 50 CFM fan would need

5/8 ft^2 of area, or a 3.2" gap beneath a 28" wide door.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Yes, FPM=ft/min

You can stretch the velocity limit above 300 FPM. For example at 400 FPM the velocity pressure is (400/4005)^2 =~ .01" water gauge. The total loss (assuming a 0.5 entry coeff.) is .015 " water which will have negligible affect on your fan capacity.

Reply to
DDR