GE Dishwasher with Concealed Vent & Fan Assist Drying

I have a new GE Dishwasher model PDW9900NWW that has a concealed vent with fan assist drying.

It uses a fan that pulls the moisture out of the tub and down a tube that exhausts through a plastic tube that runs half way across the underneath of the door from left to right. As it blows the warm moist air across the underneath middle to right of the door it appears to be causing moisture on the metal right hinge, which depending on the cycle used may build up enough moisture to drip to the floor.

The GE service tech mentioned that the solution is to reseal the fan enclosure inside the door as they left a spot on the mold that does not allow the gasket to seal. This causes the fan to suck in extra moisture.

I am wondering if anyone else has a similar model and can help with this. It seems to me that as long as warm moist air blows towards that hinge, moisture is going to form.

Thanks for your time and assistance,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

I have a new PDW 9280. Not sure if it's similiar, but I keep the "heated" option on all the time for the drying cycle. Does your problem happen with or without the heated option on? My fan stays on for a good 3-4 hours after the cycle finishes, but according to tha manual, that's normal operation..

Reply to
Mikepier

I have not used the heated option yet.

Have you noticed the tube I am mentioning? If so, I would be interested in knowing if you look under the door bottom and notice a buildup of moiture especially along the right bottom of it and on the right hinge.

The fan is suppose to run, and that is what appears to be taking the moisture out of the tub and exhausting it at the bottom of the underneath portion of the door.

Reply to
Ben

I have to take a look when i get home.

Reply to
Mikepier

Thank you.

Reply to
Ben

Ben, I looked at mine. I have the same setup. I never really noticed moisture on the floor, but I always use the heat dry setting. Next time I do a load, I'll let it air dry to see if I notice anything.

Reply to
Mikepier

Thanks. I've noticed it mostly with antibacterial and possibly normal. For sure, if you check out the bottom or the right hinge you will see moisture on any setting. Please let me know.

BTW, does it have the Smart Dispense? If so, I'd be curious to know how many loads you get from a fill up.

Reply to
Ben

Yeah it does have Smart Dispense. I use my dishwasher every other day. I recently had to fill it again for the first time since I got it, I think it lasted a little over a month.

Reply to
Mikepier

I did a load last night with normal dry, I did not see any moisture on the floor. You mentioned that you use the antibacterial wash, which is when you notice the moisture. Doesn't the water get heated up quite a bit in that wash mode? When the fan takes out the high humid air from the washer and expels it into a cooler environment, maybe it's condensing?

Reply to
Mikepier

That is what it is doing, and I have done a few normal loads and did not see it drip to the floor recently. However, my last test of antibacterial it did.

The next time you run any load would you mind looking/feeling underneath to see if yours is condensing on the right metal hinge? Mine always condenses there, and on the hotter loads the condensation drips from there to the floor.

Again, I appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Reply to
Ben

I did try to feel for moisture at the right hinge last night while it was drying, I did not feel anything, but I was on normal dry mode. Its amazing considering the tube ends at the middle of the door, yet the moisture travels to the right side of the unit. Perhaps the moisture collects at the middle of the door, and if the unit is not perfectly level, it rolls to the right side. Just a thought. For the heck of it, the next time I do a load I'll run on antibacterial. I have not done that mode yet, so this will be a first.

Reply to
Mikepier

I have enough moist air coming out that you can feel moisture along the right bottom, but given the cold metal hinge, it forms there as well. Most of the bottom is insulated so it really forms as it blows towards that hinge.

Reply to
Ben

I have enough moist air coming out that you can feel moisture along the right bottom, but given the cold metal hinge, it forms there as well. Most of the bottom is insulated so it really forms as it blows towards that hinge.

Reply to
Ben

Ben, I did a load on antibacterial, and while the air was super hot coming out of the tube, I did not see any moisture on the hinge. Although I can see why there is a real potential for moisture to form on that hinge. Just out of curiousity, why do you use antibacterial mode? It seemed like the wash cycle took longer than the normal cycle. Antibacterial seems like overkill, unless you really need everything sterile.

Reply to
Mikepier

For example, when we cut raw chicken. We do not use it much.

I always have atleast moisture on the right hinge/door area. I can put my hand around the hinge and bottom door edge and always get moisture when the fan is running right after a load. I will have the Tech seal the area around the fan as he suggested. I'll let you know if that corrects it.

Again, thank you very much.

Reply to
Ben