Installing bathroom vent fan in condo with common vent (pics)

Doing a reno job in a condo, we gutted the bathroom that had a common duct riser for the condos above. I don't know if there is a fan on the roof or not. But Is there any reason I can't put in a vent fan of my own to force the air up this duct? I believe the duct is made of some kind of concrete, or possibly asbestos? How is this usually dealt with? It was originally a wall vent, so I would have to get a wall mount fan.

Mikepier

** If the duct is common to several units, and was made for bathroom ventilation, I would expect there is a roof mounted blower. If you connect your own fan to the duct, and there is nothing pulling the air up, and there are no backflow preventers, your air is going to go into other units
Reply to
RBM

*If there is a roof mounted fan, there is no guarantee that it is actually in working order. Some roof mounted items don't always get proper maintenance. Find out from condo management if there is a fan and if it is working.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I concur. If it's a shared duct then you have to use a blower at the top to "suck".

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Ummm... Dude... The picture of the hole is really useless...

What did you remove when you gutted ? Was it just an air grille or was there a powered fan in place in your bathroom to feed the air into the common duct ?

The issue brought up by RBM is a valid one:

** If the duct is common to several units, and was made for bathroom ventilation, I would expect there is a roof mounted blower. If you connect your own fan to the duct, and there is nothing pulling the air up, and there are no backflow preventers, your air is going to go into other units **

So it is more important what you removed in the demo process which will help you identify what was in place on that duct so you have some clue as to how the other units might be equipped...

John Grabowski also offered some wise advice:

*If there is a roof mounted fan, there is no guarantee that it is actually in working order. Some roof mounted items don't always get proper maintenance. Find out from condo management if there is a fan and if it is working.*

You need to ask permission to connect to common elements which are provided for the use of multiple units in a condo development... This will often be done at a meeting where you present your approved plans for the remodel from the AHJ and ask to reconnect to the vent duct which you have disconnected yourself from...

You would then be informed of how that connection is to be made, what sort of devices are currently required and possibly the specifically approved contractor the condo association/board has approved for that purpose because it is a common element you wish to connect to, not something which belongs to your specific unit...

Good luck with this... Word of caution, condo associations generally don't let persons without the proper licensing modify or touch common elements -- you will also be asked to provide a certificate of insurance before you are allowed to modify any of the association controlled common elements...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Just a simple wall grill.

Reply to
Mikepier

WHy do you need a fan? .Have you tried a smoke test to se if there is a drawing in of air at the hole in the wall?? Do you get noise from adjacent units, that might tell you if it is a shared vent or not?? Too much unknown to make a rational response.

Reply to
hrhofmann