Cordless sterio headphones-Help

I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the TV and contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a sales person in Comet without really investigating the system properly. Having got it home and charged the batteries for 16 hours I tried to connect it to the audio socket on the TV. What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a plastic blank where it should have been The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio socket fitted. What can I do know? Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV? Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder? Blair

Reply to
Blair

I don't know about these wireless headphones but you can only try to plug them into the DVD player audio I summising they will work on any audio output i.e DVD player,PC,Stereo, ect.

Reply to
ben

ben wrote: [snip]

Hah! do you have a scart socket on TV?

Reply to
ben

Is there a SCART socket? These will usually have sound outputs as well as inputs.

Don't see why - it's pretty obvious.

Anything is possible. But it would likely be cheaper to buy a new TV.

Presumably you've looked to see if they have an 'audio socket'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, they shouldn't. Any more than they need to tell you to check that you have mains electricity before purchasing a kettle.

You can return them.

Yes. Or use the audio outputs from your scart socket if you have one.

Depends what you want to listen to.

Reply to
Grunff

Why? Headphones obviously require a socket. I assume you are old enough to take responsibility for your own actions. It's up to you to check. We don't all appreciate the advancing nanny state of Mr Blair.

Most high street stores will give you at least a credit note, if not a full refund, for items bought in error.

Do they have headphone sockets?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

My first thought too. High street electrical goods shops carry them. either that or plumb it in via DVD/video or HIFI. Then you can blow out your eardrums without annoying the neighbors.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

I used a scart to phono socket lead into which I plugged a phono plug to 3.5mm socket lead.

This had the advantage that you could adjust the speaker volume of the set without affecting the headphone volume.

(I believe you can buy scart to 3.5mm socket leads as well)

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x
[TV -> phono]

My television has a pop-out panel in the side which delivers phono and I believe a 3.5 jack socket. I went down the SCART route.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

I suppose using the headphone 3.5mm output would allow some control over the input level to the transmitter? But then you'd have ugly cabling out of the front of the set?

At long last I've got a set with plenty of aux inputs. 3 SCARTS - all RGB, S-Video and composite. 2 S-Video. Two composite. One computer D socket. One HDTV - can't remember the name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry for the late reply . Yes I do have a scart socket on my TV but it is used to connect my DVD recorder. But the DVD Recorder has two scart sockets, one not used. How does this help? Blair

Reply to
Blair

My DVD Recorder is connected to my TV via a Scart Socket. There are 4 outlets for Video but my connector does not fit them. Blair

Reply to
Blair

"Or use the audio outputs from your scart socket if you have one" How do I do this? Blair

Reply to
Blair

Thanks for that information. I can now go back to Comet and ask them for scart to socket lead that will fit my ear phone plug. I have a spare scart socket on my DVD Recorder Blair

Reply to
Blair

If your TV has only the one SCART and you're using it for the DVD, get a two into one SCART adaptor from Maplin etc, and a SCART lead with a suitable output for your headphone transmitter.

To explain. SCART connectors have audio - and video - in and out. So although you're using your TV SCART as an input, it can also be used to supply an audio output at the same time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It might be more useful to get a pass-through connector that has two audio phono sockets on it - it will have a video RCA or S-video socket too. With one of these you can leave it plugged in, with the SCART from the DVD plugged into the back, and simply switch between input and output on the connector depending on whether you're listening to live TV or a DVD. You'll also need a lead with two RCA plugs and a stereo 3.5mm jack socket to connect to the headphones (I'm assuming that the headphone connector is a 3.5mm stereo jack plug - I think they usually are). This is assuming that the SCART on your TV does out as well as in.

If you only want to listen to DVDs on the headphones you could use the second SCART socket on that with a phono adaptor, and not worry about pass-through to the TV or switching between in and out.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks Dave, your suggestion looks like the best solution. Will now search Maplin Blair

Reply to
Blair

Thanks Bob for your help. You have given me some food for thought. I had really forgotten about listening to a DVD recording as well as TV Will investigate further Blair

Reply to
Blair