Kindle touch

I've just bought one for my wife. It may well be a great product, but we can't tell! The instructions are so terribly badly written and organised. They seem to be more in the nature of notes of various features intended for users already very familiar with the device. The instructions with the original Kindle were bad enough, but those of the Touch are incomparably more useless. As it's a device likely to appeal to OAPs, the handicapped, and the not-so-with-it elderly, one would have hoped for a good, clear, logically set out instruction book. Some hope ! At least the original Kindle had a few buttons you could experiment with in the attempt to deduce the functions of, but The Touch has but one - the on/off ! Does anyone know of a decent third-party instruction book ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

idea if it's any good or not.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If you follow the instruction which says "look on the website", you will find a good clear instruction book. It's around 80 pages, I think.

Reply to
charles

No but I'd not touch a touch as it has no voice.

The keyboard one is far better from what my friends tell me. Most instruction books these days annoyingly seem to present the introduction as a series of funny pictures which I find very amusing on the old Kindle as the people who seem to buy hthem have poor eyesight. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

For a blind person fair enough you'll want audio output, but the headphone socket makes it yet another MP3 player, and the keyboard makes it yet another computer - I prefer the kobo touch as it's decidedly just* a bookreader.

  • It does have a web browser under 'extras', but it'd have to be a dire emergency to use it!
Reply to
Andy Burns

On the keyboard version I tried to send a mail message via Gmail using the 'experimental' browser but decided that life was far too short. I put some .mp3 files on the system but it doesn't seem to find them so no .mp3 player. It does, however, do pretty well as an eReader.

I have noted that there doesn't seem to be any software progression - new or better software - so the 'experimental' bits look likely to stay that way. I would have liked the option to have 'proper' .mp3 software on there so you could use it to play selected music whilst reading - I understand that it is supposed to just play whatever is there with no playlist functionality. If it ever plays anything.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Agreed. But that's not its primary purpose. I do use it for teh occasional Wikipedia lookup (from a word in abook) though.

Works for me.

Yes...use it all the time!

I have had two software upgrades over the past year or so, but they never happened automatically - I just downloaded and installed them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's what I have and I like it very much. I did confuse the staff at my local library when I asked how to access their e-book lending services, as nobody had told them they had one.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Did you just copy .mp3 files on there? Any directory/folder structure? Can't work out why I can't see the files.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

They go into a directory called 'music'. You don't get to 'see' the files as the Kindle just plays the music in the order you added the files.

It's not meant as a proper mp3 player, just background music.

Reply to
Bob Eager