TV optical headphones

OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.
Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a Luddite.
I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed earphones.
Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is less than helpful.
--
Tim Lamb

I suspect it is referring to the limited number of earphones which come with a special Bluetooth transmitter which connects to the optical output of audio devices, TVs etc.
The only make I recall are Sennheiser but there may be others.
You could, perhaps, cobble together a version by getting an optical to analogue interface / converter and connecting the output to a Bluetooth transmitter.
Bluetooth transmitters which take an audio input and generate a Bluetooth transmission you can pair with are surprisingly cheap- I recently bought one of EBay for about £4 to link a TV’s audio to an audio system with a Bluetooth input.
On 18/02/2020 23:20, Brian Reay wrote:

The TV may well have bluetooth built in anyway... what model is it Tim?
--
Cheers,

John.

LG32LM6300PLA:-) The manual is very unforthcoming but largely my ignorance (bluetooth 5 is mentioned)

--
Tim Lamb

On 19/02/2020 09:32, Tim Lamb wrote:

That sounds familiar ;-)

If it has bluetooth, and you have bluetooth headphones, then (in theory) all you need to do it enable bluetooth on the TV and "pair" them (a one off process where you introduce one device to the other).
You may find some audio lag - but that does vary with the particular headphones. The TV also usually has an adjustment to compensate. I have found it more noticeable on my "entry level" Boltune headphones, that observed on a set decent Sony ones.
I can try later on with that TV if you need more guidance....
--
Cheers,

John.
On 18/02/2020 23:20, Brian Reay wrote:

You don't say whether the audio input is optical or not.
The better TVs have optical and Bluetooth outputs as standard, as well as a range of others, so there should be no need for the OP to 'cobble together' anything no matter how cheap.
--
Spike

The maths teacher broke down in tears at

OK.
I think I need to rephrase the question to *would anyone care to recommend bluetooth connected comfortable earphones for a geriatric?)
Do any have adjustments for age related hearing defects?

--
Tim Lamb

That is a different question entirely.
How much do you want to spend?
Seriously, especially as you’ve indicated some hearing issues, you probably don’t want to go ‘top end’, especially for TV use.
I’ve been looking on Amazon for a pair, also for a TV. While I’ve not ordered them yet- just haven’t got around to it- I’m probably going to go for a cheapy pair ‘Amazon Choice’ flagged. If they aren’t acceptable, I can always return them. The reviews are generally good. I forget the exact price but under £30.

Not something I’ve needed to look at.
On 19/02/2020 09:45, Tim Lamb wrote:

Headphones tend to be a 'persona' kind of thing, for both fit and sound quality.

My view is that if you have some hearing loss, merely using headphones in the first place will cut out a lot of extraneous noise and you'll experience clearer sound anyway. I'd suggest a pair of 'over-ear' headphones rather than 'on ear' or 'in ear' types as they cut out more room noise than the other types. Experimentation is really the best way forward.
--
Spike

On 19/02/2020 10:48, Spike wrote:

Where the L did that go LOL.
--
Spike

Turnpike has spellcheck:-) The old ones are best!

--
Tim Lamb

On 19/02/2020 09:45, Tim Lamb wrote:

Even more reason for you to investigate the Sony Handy Speaker. Purpose made for TV viewers who need their own personal audio levels that might conflict with anyone else watching.
On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 09:45:59 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

Sony WH-CH510, £40 from John Lewis, Argos, etc. Absolutely brilliant. Comfortable for hours at a time, battery lasts for 35 hours on a charge, comes with appropriate USB-C charging cable. You can get them in black, blue, or white if that is important to you. I got white, although they are a very pale blue/grey in reality and they set off my sartorial grace beautifully.
I use mine for keeping my mind occupied on long walk where they work very well indeed to block out road noise even though they aren't noise-cancelling. They are the "on-ear" type where padded ear cups press on the ear (rather than "over ear" which are larger and envelope the ear completely, or those "ear buds" which you cram right down the lug'ole and give you the ability to develop infections). I tried many different headphones at the displays in a few different shops and by far these were the best. Other headphones in the price range either had notably poorer sound quality, headbands which were too tight or too loose, or a combination thereof.

But that last obviously depends on how fat your head is.
On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 17:18:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

How dare you! My head is perfect.

Very easily !!

Perfectly fat I bet.
On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 21:41:31 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Insulation. get's cold here.

Problem I can see is they are still going to need their battery charging. Which means returning them to a charging point of some sort. So no real advantage over any type of cordless headphones. But may well have a degree of latency other types won't have.
--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

The Amazon Choice ones I mentioned have a claimed run time on batteries of 100 hrs.
As for the ‘lag’, in the past I found you soon learned to ignore it.
The beauty of wireless is you can move around without getting straggled - even pop to the loo or to make tea / coffee- without thinking about it.
On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 17:08:26 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

g.

ree

ignore it.

Yes it's very handy, I do this with my iphone/ipad and the airpods, and if I do go out of range and the signal stops my idevice also stops at t hat point so when I return I can press play again. Or if I've only just been 'cut-off' by retracing my steps I find that the ' track' has been paused for a short time and will continue where it left off , but this is only if it;s cut off for a few seconds. But I've only noticed this with podcasts, because as I don't normally liste n to music with airpods so there is a chance I have missed a word or two bu t didn't notice.
I don't think this works with headphones listening to the TV or radio.