TV optical headphones

C'mon D i m ! ;-)

Reply to
Jimk

OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is less than helpful.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Don't you know either?

Reply to
Fredxx

I suspect it is referring to the limited number of earphones which come with a special Bluetooth transmitter which connects to the optical output of audio devices, TVs etc.

The only make I recall are Sennheiser but there may be others.

You could, perhaps, cobble together a version by getting an optical to analogue interface / converter and connecting the output to a Bluetooth transmitter.

Bluetooth transmitters which take an audio input and generate a Bluetooth transmission you can pair with are surprisingly cheap- I recently bought one of EBay for about £4 to link a TV?s audio to an audio system with a Bluetooth input.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I've just got in. ;-)

I think we are talking about Bluetooth Headphones here (LG sound sync) so I'm not sure where the 'Optical' bit comes in?

It's quite likely the TV has an optical out that would typically be used to feed a HiFi or Soundabar but I guess could also feed some stand-alone wireless headphones?

For the link to the headphones to be optical it would have to have multidirectional receivers on the headphones and you have to hope no one walks between you and the TV. ;-)

Other than that, I'm not sure ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The TV may well have bluetooth built in anyway... what model is it Tim?

Reply to
John Rumm

Possible confusion with an optical audio out, usually fibre-optic to an amplifier rather than headphones?

What LG model?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes any form of wireless seems to have drawbacks. I heard of somebody with a cheap set of bluetooth headphones. Using them with the tv made the lip sync very bad indeed due to latency in the system. also any total quiet for more than a couple of seconds cut the sound completely and the first syllable of the next word was missing.I' also seen this on bluetooth speakers on a mobile. As for Infra red, as many cinemas and theatres found this is prone to problems both from noise and obstruction getting between the receiver and the transmission panels.

I would have thought an old school type of wireless headphones and a transmitter/charger were adequate. Another gripe about a lot of modern tvs is that when you turn on AD, you seem not to have the choice of only having it on the phone feed with the normal sound so it would not annoy the sighted watcher so much. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2

You don't say whether the audio input is optical or not.

The better TVs have optical and Bluetooth outputs as standard, as well as a range of others, so there should be no need for the OP to 'cobble together' anything no matter how cheap.

Reply to
Spike

LG32LM6300PLA (has bluetooth 5) could easily be Greek to me!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

LG32LM6300PLA:-) The manual is very unforthcoming but largely my ignorance (bluetooth 5 is mentioned)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK.

I think I need to rephrase the question to *would anyone care to recommend bluetooth connected comfortable earphones for a geriatric?)

Do any have adjustments for age related hearing defects?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That sounds familiar ;-)

If it has bluetooth, and you have bluetooth headphones, then (in theory) all you need to do it enable bluetooth on the TV and "pair" them (a one off process where you introduce one device to the other).

You may find some audio lag - but that does vary with the particular headphones. The TV also usually has an adjustment to compensate. I have found it more noticeable on my "entry level" Boltune headphones, that observed on a set decent Sony ones.

I can try later on with that TV if you need more guidance....

Reply to
John Rumm

As others have said, the optical output is the high-quality connection to something like a soundbar, or possibly a higher-end adapter such as a Bluetooth sender. Your TV probably has Bluetooth output anyway.

If you set your Bluetooth headphones to the 'pair' setting, the TV should pick this up and you'll get an on-screen message to accept this. Select 'Yes' and you're away. Adjust the volume using the remote.

If you press the 'Settings' button on the remote, it will bring up a menu on the LHS of the screen. These can be hard to navigate, so if you select the bottom one ('All Settings'} it will being up another menu on the RHS that's easier to navigate. Select 'Sounds' and you'll see a full choice of the outputs are available. Select the one of choice, and press the 'Settings' button to close the menu. Enjoy!

HTH

Reply to
Spike

That is a different question entirely.

How much do you want to spend?

Seriously, especially as you?ve indicated some hearing issues, you probably don?t want to go ?top end?, especially for TV use.

I?ve been looking on Amazon for a pair, also for a TV. While I?ve not ordered them yet- just haven?t got around to it- I?m probably going to go for a cheapy pair ?Amazon Choice? flagged. If they aren?t acceptable, I can always return them. The reviews are generally good. I forget the exact price but under £30.

Not something I?ve needed to look at.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Headphones tend to be a 'persona' kind of thing, for both fit and sound quality.

My view is that if you have some hearing loss, merely using headphones in the first place will cut out a lot of extraneous noise and you'll experience clearer sound anyway. I'd suggest a pair of 'over-ear' headphones rather than 'on ear' or 'in ear' types as they cut out more room noise than the other types. Experimentation is really the best way forward.

Reply to
Spike

Where the L did that go LOL.

Reply to
Spike

Turnpike has spellcheck:-) The old ones are best!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ok Spike. LG are not hugely attuned to European thought processing but I guess their target market is i-phone adepts used to thumb juggling.

I need to buy a set of bluetooth earphones before taking this any further.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Or buy earphones, headphones etc., nevermind the bluetooth. And these may come with its own base that gets mains power, and also audio, usually from a cable-with-plug that goes into a jack on the TV.

NB: if you wear hearing aids, there are "headphones" that don't have loudspeakers, but an "induction loop", a wire that loops around the neck. This then feeds into the hearing aid via the "telephone" input, (inductive pickup rather than the microphone). This makes everything more complicated, but once set up, it Just Works, and rather better than the microphone.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer