Connecting Yamaha P45 digital piano to 3rd Generation iPad

Please help me help Wifey :-)

Wifey is using software on her iPad to learn the piano. The iPad hears whatever she plays on the P45, and highlights errors. Works well, but sometimes the iPad misses a note, so plan B is to hard wire the two together, which is where we get lost.

The P45 has a 'square' type USB socket, and the iPad has a 30 pin (NOT lightening) connector.

Reference to a Yamaha manual shows various connections, some of which are marked 'MIDI data only - audio signal not supported'. We don't know whether we need MIDI or signal or both. Anyone?

I *think* we need an iPad camera connector. Anyone know?

Finally, assuming we get the correct connector and it all works, will the P45 charge the iPad battery whilst in use?

Thanks!

Reply to
Graeme

So the iPad is listening to the sounds made by the piano?

Does the iPad have socket for a 3.5 mm headset, or even a microphone? Apple, so it might not or if it does it'll be a propritary connector or on that 30 pin jobbie. Google is your friend, you're looking for a way to get an audio signal into the iPad in place of its internal microphone.

The P45 has a headphone out but plugging headphones in cuts the loud speakers, so you'd have to find some way of splitting the signal from the P45 to amp/speakers (aux in on your HiFi) and to the input of the iPad. The input to the iPad is also likely to be low (microphone) level so you'll need to attenuate the headphone signal before feeding to the iPad. Not difficult, a small 10 k ohmn trimmer potentiometr will do.

MIDI is a serial data stream, common on electronic musical instruments but I'd be very suprised if an iPad supports it.

The P45 expects to connect to a USB host ie a PC. An iPad also expects to connect to a USB host. Does Apple have support of OTG cables? Even if it does will the error checking software take input from USB?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

this is mabe what you are after, I use an older one with the guitar

misterroy

In message , misterroy writes

Thank you. That looks perfect but, at a hundred pounds, I could buy her an android tablet and avoid compatibility issues forever!

Reply to
Graeme

Thanks Dave. I hear all that you say and, once again, regret buying an Apple product. The iPad is great at what it does, but connecting it to anything is a minefield of different connectors and iOS versions. We have been doing quite a lot of reading, and there is a perfect device available, which works only up to the iOS version one below hers.

My understanding is that the iPad hears individual notes perfectly, but sometimes struggles with chords. Wifey is asking on a suitable support group but, TBH, it really needs to be something simple that she can easily plug and unplug as required, as she does not always use the iPad, and does not always use the same app.

Reply to
Graeme

the i rig 1 might do it, less than a tenner on ebay

Reply to
misterroy

That's sort of why I went down the KISS method of just shove audio into the iPad. The MIDI route depends on the app(s) understanding MIDI or converted to USB MIDI stream. It already understands audio.

It may be worth playing with the volume of the piano and the position of the iPad relative to the speakers. Maybe when a chord is played the iPad is picking up key noise, particulary if it's resting on the piano.

Can't get much simpler that pulling a couple of plugs out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Result! After much reading, we found a genuine (i.e. expensive) Apple connector for the job, although it reminded me why I avoid Apple products.

Anyway, 18 quid later, a connector arrived today, and works perfectly. By way of a bonus, not only does the iPad now hear every note played, but Wifey's 'score' when playing has increased so she is graded a little higher than before.

Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
Graeme

Glad you found a solution and that it has improved things. Which hole on the piano does it plg into?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not clear on the terminology, but the piano socket is one of those 'square' USB holes I normally associate with printers and cameras. We use a lead with that plug on one end and conventional USB plug on the other. The adaptor itself has conventional USB socket on one end and Apple 30 pin connector on the other. The App on the Apple immediately recognised the piano connection.

Reply to
Graeme

Sounds like it is the Apple Camera Connection kit. Their On-The-Go type thing.

Adrian Caspersz

Exactly so. Interesting to note that the connector will also allow use of a USB keyboard.

Reply to
Graeme

Indeed, I thought the CCK literally only allowed cameras, and even then only allowed importing photos from them, does it see it as a computer keyboard (QWERTY etc) or as a MIDI keyboard?

Reply to
Andy Burns

My (pure) guess is that works in the same way as an Android OTG cable - for which Android has built-in support for dumb devices like mice and (QWERTY) keyboards, but where you need a dedicated app to support other devices.

I assume that connecting it to a camera or to a musical keyboard requires a specific app for each device.

I use an OTG cable with my Android Nexus 10 tablet, and I can use that in conjunction with a USB to MIDI adapter cable in order to connect to the MIDI ports on a musical keyboard. I have an app which understands a few basic MIDI commands, but I can't find anything really useful. What I really want is a MIDI sequencer - similar to Cakewalk or Cubasis on a PC

- which would enable the Android tablet to play pre-existing MIDI files (of which I have legion) on a MIDI keyboard or piano. There are occasions when our choir pianist is unavailable for a rehearsal, and I take my laptop along to 'play' the piano. It would be a lot easier if I could use the tablet.

Has anyone come across any suitable Android apps for MIDI sequencing?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes but Android != Apple, and they usually think they know better what a user shouldn't want to do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It'll be MIDI

Adrian Caspersz

Hello! Can I ask you what app your wife uses in her iPad? I have been looki ng for the same thing you described!

Thanks, André

Reply to
an.gouveia

In message , snipped-for-privacy@campus.fct.unl.pt writes

Simply Piano and Piano Maestro are her favourites, apparently. Very happy bunny now that the connector has arrived, and works.

Reply to
Graeme

replying to Graeme, Smithjohns wrote: Please could you give me a link to purchase the connector that worked for you. Or failing that, a name, manufacturer etc.

Reply to
Smithjohns

I have looked back, and cannot find details - sorry. I have looked through both Amazon and eBay purchases, but cannot find it. I must have bought it direct from somewhere else. Do note though, that what works or does not work seems to depend on iOS.

I wonder whether you will see this reply.

Reply to
Graeme