13A Plug tops with neon light

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason why they are no longer avaialable? - Mike (who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave them switched on).
On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

Google for '13a plug neon' and there are lots.
MOst have switches too, but that's OK. I have some here.
On 04/03/2017 16:17, Mike wrote:

I like these...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13a-Switched-Fused-Plug-Household-3-Pin-Mains-Neon-Indicator-Plugs-1-2-4-10-/331604981382?var=&hash=item4d35327686:m:m_24gzoFF6w9U_5ZVcnysRw
(or eBay item number: 331604981382)
Cheers
--
Clive

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 16:26:43 +0000, Clive Arthur

It is the unswitched type that I can't find. - Mike
Mike <> wrote:

If you are desperate for an unswitched one, and can't find one new or used, not without the bounds of possibility to fit a neon or LED to the plug of your choice.
--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

On 05/03/17 18:22, Mike wrote:

Strange isn't it? Seem to be rather rare, even on a google image search, as if someone scrubed them out. Perhaps they went out of favour when users found that long time the neons died?
Anyway, I found these when I did "BS1363 neon"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Pcs-AC-UK-3-Pin-Power-Plug-DIY-13A-BS1363-socket-OUTLETS-CORDS-CONNECTOR-neor-/281996199625
A pack of eight for £8.94, I'm sure someone else will have an offer for singles.
See how they come ready labelled, like if they've just passed PAT.
It's a new branding applied, like 'CE'!
--
Adrian C

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 21:30:13 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

reduce the current.
NT
On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 21:30:10 +0000, Adrian Caspersz

Thanks that's what I've been looking for. - Mike

No, they are plugged into a switched extension lead. - Mike
On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike <> wrote:

I have used one of these before: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13A-13-AMP-SWITCHED-MAINS-PLUG-WHITE-RED-NEON-INDICATOR-LIGHT-/321669606268
(I wanted one which was in an extension socket on the floor and I could on/off it with my foot)
Judith wrote:

If you want a quantity, these are better priced
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 16:54:06 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

-INDICATOR-LIGHT-/321669606268

on/off

£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For t hin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.
NT

For 5 = £2.60 each.
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 18:43:38 UTC, ss wrote:

or thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

still a daft price.
NT
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 10:55:07 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Perhaps you can find an alternative at a better price then.
Or did you say "still a daft price" just because you fucked up?
It is an excellent item at a good price.
On Sunday, 5 March 2017 13:22:23 UTC, Judith wrote:

. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon a lso has its uses.

I can. If I walk 20 feet I can find one that cost me an unused plug and an unused neon.

People are strange these days.
NT
On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 05:38:32 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Indeed : I am surprised that so many people cannot afford to or three quid for something and would rather spend their time making a pig's ear.
Perhaps you could put together your unused plug and the neon and show the rest of us how to do it and then we can all save a few bob.
On Sunday, 5 March 2017 17:00:44 UTC, Judith wrote:

lug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neo n also has its uses.

an unused neon.

d for

it takes no longer than wiring the plug, and the result is not a pig's ear. Thus spending 5 as much for no gain is senseless.

rest

If you can't even wire a plug I doubt I can help.
On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 09:21:25 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I am not an expert : please can you tell me how to connect the plug and the neon.

I'm not trying to be pompous, but if you have to ask how to do it safely you should probably not be doing it yourself. It has to be done so as to avoid short circuits and bits of the thin neon wire sticking out of the plug, also heat resistant and mechanically satisfactory. It's doubtful if anyone should be modifying a plug, but I think I could do it safely if I had to. I would want to be fairly certain no-one would ever rewire it - perhaps it's simply best not done!
--

Roger Hayter