Damp behind shelves

Hi all

For a lot of years now, I've had a lot of metal brackets and shelves in my upstairs bedroom that I've used to store all my DVDs and CDs on. I've just found to my horror that some of the brackets have gotten rusty and dampness from them has leaked into some of my discs (plus some mould is now growing away on the walls near to the brackets). It's an external wall to the house and, from what I can tell, it's not actual water coming in from outside but I'm guessing the severely cold winter we had a few months back caused a lot of condensation.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do and how to prevent this happening again?

cheers

Reply to
dustie

Interior RH is too high for the level of insulation the walls have. Look at where excess RH is coming from in the house.

NT

Reply to
NT

One easy way is to make sure there's an air gap between the shelves and the wall, so letting the air circulate and help remove the condensation.

It helped no end in the caravan when I worked the trick out.

Reply to
John Williamson

Please forgive my ignorance but, what does RH mean? :)

Reply to
dustie

roof height?

Reply to
charles

Relative Humidity.

Reply to
Huge

Assuming it IS condensation. Strange that the OP notices it after a lot of rain. There is a simple test, namely sticking a tile or a mirror to the wall and seeing if the face gets wet

Reply to
stuart noble

plus maybe lack of ventilation in the house

NT

Reply to
NT

No harm in checking the gutters etc. for a possible external source of damp.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

humidity condensing where it's trapped behind CD's - the humidity will be the same over the whole room, but as there's no air movement behind your shelf junk, this is where it's showing up.

Increase ventilation by moving CD's forward and decrease humidity by however way you see fit.

Reply to
Phil L

A sheet of aluminium foil will do, taped around the edges.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Impossible to say, but in my house it would be gutters overflowing with heavy rain causing a lot of water to splash onto the masonry.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Even if it's not condensation, an air gap helps by allowing any slight moisture penetration to evaporate.

But where does the poster I was replying to say he thinks it's penetrating dampness? He say that he has noticed recently that there is rust on the brackets and dampness inside the CD cases on the shelves and suspects that the recent cold, damp weather has caused condensation.

Reply to
John Williamson

So, nothing to do with an external wall being colder than the average room temperature and the stagnant, damp, air next to the wall being insulated from the general room temperature by the contents of the shelf, so causing condensation, then?

Reply to
John Williamson

Gawd knows. Go and stand outside when it's raining heavily. Observe. It ain't rocket science

Reply to
stuart noble

Um, I don't think that any of us "gutter overflow" adherents are saying it's the only possible cause. Just trying to point out to the RH adherents that it would be daft not to check.

Tim

Reply to
Tim