Leaking Garage

My garage roof leaks like a sieve, it is made from asbestos/ cement corruga ted panels and leaks through several of the nail fixing holes. As the garag e is to be replaced I need a temporary cheap fix that will last at least un til the summer. I am looking for some kind of paint on repair but not somet hing that will become a sticky mess when it comes to demolishing it, so any recommendations welcome?

Thanks in anticipation Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Had the same problem on the garage roof here, 15 years ago. Crawled all over it on a ladder plus crawling boards, and covered each nail head and washer with a very generous dollop of Unibond black roof and gutter sealant

. It's black and sticky, but does eventually harden up a bit. But whether it will be hard enough for you by the summer, I don't know. It's still up there after 15 years, and still doing a reasonable job.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

ugated panels and leaks through several of the nail fixing holes. As th

e garage is to be replaced I need a temporary cheap fix that will last at le

ast until the summer. I am looking for some kind of paint on repair but not somethi

ng that will become a sticky mess when it comes to demolishing it, so any recommendations welcome?

A good quality tarpaulin.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Never used any of them, but these might be worth looking at if you have a Wickes nearby;

David Lang

Flashband, using the primer. 3 or 4 inch squares over the leaky nails. I have used it for roof repairs and it makes an effective seal. It shoud not be too stickt by next summer

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

gated panels and leaks through several of the nail fixing holes. As the gar age is to be replaced I need a temporary cheap fix that will last at least until the summer. I am looking for some kind of paint on repair but not som ething that will become a sticky mess when it comes to demolishing it, so a ny recommendations welcome?

Other advice is good. Do NOT walk on roof without additional support (crawlboards/planks. You might fall through it if it's that bad.

Reply to
harry

I've used Acrypol+ for years. Dries none-sticky and lasts for ages. Not cheap, but very effective.

I paid £70 in Jewsons for my tin about 10 years ago!

Reply to
Bob Martin

Yup, I was just about to suggest that (well the brand I've used is Geocel 'The Works', but I assume they are all the same kind of stuff).

Can be applied whilst the surfaces are wet as well if necessary.

For a paint on product I've used Isoflex Liquid Rubber. Dries in a day or two to a rubbery coating, as the name suggests, but it says apply about 10C and I'm not sure if it would like it being damp, so maybe not such a good product for this time of the year?

Reply to
Chris French

Thanks for all the suggestions. The next question is what size crawl boards are recommended, the corrugated panels are supported on 4" x 2" s spaced about 1200mm apart?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

+1

IIRC I also used two long planks (a couple of old 7" fascia boards) side by side, and slid them across the roof, crouching on one while sliding the other, and vice versa, IYSWIM.

Alternatively, a plank on a ladder. You run less risk of your foot slipping off a rung and going through the asbestos roof.

The most important point is that your planks/boards/whatever must be long enough to be reach between *at least two* of the underlying rafters *at all times*.

Reply to
Chris Hogg