Asbestos Garage

Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage single width - double length.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Well I've been quoted anywhere between 1 and 2 thousand quid, but that is of course due to the regulations on bagging each sheet and the bunny suits the men need to wear for elf and safety. I'm not sure what to do at the moment as it seems to me that they can charge whatever they like and the ones that want most claim the cheaper ones might dump the sheets illegally leaving me open to prosecution. I'm sure there is some kind of certificate I really ought to ask them about, but I've not found what it is yet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cost of plastic bags, cost of a trip or 3 to the tip, cost of an assistant, cost of breathing masks, and maybe cost of paper suits... not much.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

our local tip accepts asbestos waste if it's double bagged and not being disposed of by an asbestos removal business, which requires a licence and is strictly controlled. I recently removed a large asbestos garage piece by piece, broke the roof sheets and wall sheets into small pieces max 1 sq ft and double bagged it and took to local disposal site.Took about two weeks altogether.

Reply to
critcher

My son's just done this. He removed and bagged the panels and the council took them away free. Then he cut the steel frame up and gave it to a gypsy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I took my own asbestos garage roof off about five years ago (standard singl e garage) and took it to the local tip who were able to accept it. They wan ted me to double wrap it in quite thick plastic sheet and charged me about £50 to take it.

I reckon your garage might have 8 times as much area of asbestos so for a D IY job you'd be looking at about £400 for the tip and probably another £100 for the plastic sheeting. To get someone to do it I hate to think of the cost.

I was told it ended up being dumped down a local disused mine shaft.

Reply to
Murmansk

Breaking roof sheets, why? That would be the last thing I would want to do.

Reply to
Fredxxx

to fit in the back of my car, and they were covered in moss etc and fragile

Reply to
critcher

"Phil L" wrote in news:bVVwv.42603$ snipped-for-privacy@fx35.am:

What precautions did you take (personal and environmental) to assure neigbours it was safe?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Having called such 'experts' out in the past - I am well aware they do like to make an OTT meal of it. One 2x2 foot asbestos cement panel, entire building shut down for the day, poly sheeted from panel, all the way out into the street to the van full white suites and breathing apparatus for the four removal guys and negative pressure. Very amusing to watch, but awfully expensive lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nothing if you DIY. Apart from a few bags and petrol.

harryagain

Oh diy, is that still allowed? The person I last spoke to suggested that a mist system should be running and site cleansing needed to be done for dust and other fragments. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I have some of the flat stuff from the doors all broken already by the winds earlier this yearDust and fibres everywhere, what a nightmare. Having said all of that though, if all you do in your life is take one garage down, you are unlikely to inhale enough to cause issues. The asbestos cement uses very small fibres indeed and as they are in cement, its often larger an not so dangerous in the lungs.

I'd not want to intentionally break them though, as the mess left behind to clean up would not be trivial. I am going to have to get people to do it, as I am blind, so the trick will be how to do it without getting fleeced or hit with huge bills for disposal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, it seems to depend on who you speak to. I'd say mask and overalls only used for that, and doing it in the rain helps. I'd do it myself if i still had eyesight, but there you are, the costs of disability strike again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm told me not to break them if at all possible, so what is the truth here, is it different folk make it up as they go along and according to how much they think they can screw you for? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This.

John

Reply to
Another John

Can you get "asbestos only" skips delivered (covered type)?

Reason: If that means the structure could be hosed down inside and out, and dismantled with bolt croppers to cut the rusty bolts - the panels could simply be carefully laid in the skip, whole, with minimal handling.

The blokes would need dustmasks and disposable paper suits and neither should be seeing much action if everything is wet.

The contamination of the ground and the air should be very minimal - scrape off 2" topsoil to be sure. Then you'd be down to "natural levels" pretty much.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes indeed; there are contractors and contractors. To be "fair", I guess it is an expensive business setting up such an operation. So when you have a customer who is ignorant and scared there is probably a temptation to milk it. They are less likely to get away with that on (say) a power station where there are engineers and occupational health experts who understand the problem better.

Economists call it price discrimination!

Reply to
newshound

I re-roofed a 100' x 45' agricultural barn about 15 years ago so not really current.

At that time the site had to be registered with the EA and licensed for the particular waste activity. Cost, a few pounds.

Open top skip. Waste handling notes exchanged and skip taken to a commercial site permitted to bury asbestos waste a few miles away.

Overall disposal cost about 800 pounds.

Brian has several problems: residential site and presumed neighbours. Unable to undertake the work himself. Any contractor is forced to apply stringent rules to protect himself from employee litigation and minimise insurance costs. Hence the rip-off nature of the activity:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb