Cost of Asbestos Removal

We have a 1930s house. We want to extend the rather small bathroom out over the stairs, however, the wall between the bathroom and landing is asbestos. I've read the discussions on asbestos from last week and noted the comments concerning scaremongering.

What sort of cost would I be looking at to have an asbestos wall of size 6 feet by 9 feet removed ?

Cheers in advance

Dave

Reply to
David Rose

We've got the Asbestos removers in at work ...costs thousands

At home if it's white Asbestos (shine a torch at it - if it sparkles it's not Asbestos) you can remove it yourself - wet it with something like a PVA solution whilst taking other precautions like preventing dust spread & wearing breathing mask & disposable hooded boiler suit - good meodern vac will cope with residual dust

That's what the Pro's we hire do.

Reply to
Chris Oates

What a very dangerous and unhelpful statement to make "(shine a torch at it - if it sparkles it's not Asbestos)"

The only way you as a non trained person will know if it is asbestos or not is to get it checked out by the professionals.

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Asbestos cement sheeting was commonly used for wall covering in place of plaster in the 30's.

A local school of similar vintage had a wall about 20ft long and

8-9ft high covered on one side by these sheets which had to be removed when rebuilding was going on. Although the Asbestos (Licensing) Regulations 1983 do _not_ require the use of licensed contractors to carry out work on asbestos cement the local authority have a policy of always using them on all asbestos products.

The bill was over £7,000. The "professional" licensed asbestos scammer doing it went ballistic when he discovered I'd sprayed it all with fluorescein dye the day before he took it out so we could identify it if it was illegally dumped. People did wonder why he was so annoyed.

You might like to look at

Peter Parry

On the positive side, we're about to have all the white asbestos cement ceilings in our 1930s house removed. The man from the council came around (his card says Buildings Maintenance but we contacted Environmental Health IIRC) and quoted us £15 per "wrap" to remove the stuff, so long as we arranged for it to be stacked outside ready for his men. He reckoned that a 3 by 5m ceiling (one of the rooms) would take about 3 "wraps" if that's any help. I suppose that equates to roughly

5sqm per wrap, but it depends whether we manage to get the stuff out in largeish chunks / sheets or whether it breaks into little bits.

He was quite confident we could remove it ourselves, with disposable overalls, masks and some common sense. We're in the middle of a huge renovation project, so we're quite happy to scrap carpets rather than going to great lengths with dust sheets and so on.

Commercial companies seem to be charging £450 or so for a skip, no matter how full you can fill it, and don't even think about asking them to remove the stuff, that's when you start talking about bills of thousands. Originally we were only looking at removing one or two ceilings, but the idea of sending out a nine-tenths empty skip grated. The council is willing to charge for part-skips because it is able to fill the skip elsewhere on the same day.

Do get the stuff checked first though. A proper test will cost, but we struck lucky - our council man had worked on another identical house just up the road a few years previously and was able to say with some confidence what we had. The whole row is ex-council, by the way.

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to