Where can I buy a proper study chair?

Where can I buy a proper chair for sitting in at a desk and reading?

I can't stand those soft leather office workers'/managers' chairs, or chairs of any kind that swivel, have tilting backs, or go up and down using gas.

I need a hard-leather, well-padded/stuffed jobby (at both seat and back), not necessarily buttoned. With a leg at each corner that ends on the floor and doesn't have a wheel stuck on it. The kind of thing provided in the British Library, parliamentary libraries etc. Ideally, with a curved (padded) back.

The sort of thing you can sit in for 4 hours or 6 hours reading a book and not notice any discomfort or need to shift yourself.

After looking around I have only found

a) antiques, e.g. 19th century "library" chairs, which are not meant for use at a desk, they are more like fireside chairs

b) "office chairs" with nice padding but swivelly, i.e. much too like those horrible black soft leather things

c) things like "captain's chairs" which aren't padded enough at the back

Most of the chairs I've seen in b) and c) are a bit "showy", probably selling a lot to Japanese businessmen or suburban estate agents who think something called "Oxford" must be "classy". I am not especially after a "traditional" look or a reproduction. A "modern" look would be fine. Just need something that will do the job! Am I going to have to import one from somewhere like Finland or what??? :)))

Much obliged for any help!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Nellist

I have an Ikea office chair, it's the most comfortable chair I have ever sat on. unfortunately it meets none of your criteria.

Reply to
martin

I'm not sure I understand which fireside chairs you don't like, but in Cheshire I found

and
interesting but expensive.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Several years ago, we bought two such chairs from High Seat ltd and have found them both well made and very comfortable. They don't hurt the back or legs even after prolonged use. They also are high enough to be used as a desk chair.

Their web site shows you some examples. They are based in West Yorkshire (Dewsbury) and do mail order.

David Kerr

Cambridge or Oxford.

But be cautious, they get very upset if you talk about "buying" them, they prefer to refer to it as "endowing" because academics are rather precious about these things.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I would be surprised if you could find something that would meet your criteria for long periods of sitting with comfort while having the appearance that you describe.

If you are looking for comfort for that period with some of your criteria for appearance, then there are versions of the Herman Miller Aeron chair that would fit the bill.but they are infinitely adjustable, including up and down.

You might find that something like a leather recliner is closer to what you are looking for, but takes up more space of course.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall