Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

My wife's boot heel is worn through the rubber to the leather. If I replace the last layer of leather on the heel (it's pretty thick as there are about 10 layers, so I'd guess 1/8th inch) and the rubber pad, I'd be a hero.

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel leather and rubber pads to cut to size?

Any experience repairing boot heels?

Reply to
Karlheinz Fenstermacher

If you want to be a real hero take it to a good shoe repair shop and have it done right.

Reply to
philo

Have you tried Google?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

+1
Reply to
Meanie

I'm dismayed with that answer.

How many of you here are wholly incapable of replacing a boot heel, such that you've never done it?

Isn't this a *repair* group? Don't you "repair" things?

I guess it's not "home" repair, pe se, so you guys must be all into contruction, I guess, so I apologize for asking here.

Looking around for a real repair group, I only saw scientific equipment repair, which this isn't.

Is there some other group that repairs stuff "in" the home that I can ask instead?

Reply to
Karlheinz Fenstermacher

I wanted to speak with someone who actually replaced the heel (who wasn't at the same time trying to sell me something).

I can imagine there are good and back types of leather, and particularly good places to get leather.

For example, I took apart a catcher's mitt and still have *that* leather, but, it's too thin.

Reply to
Karlheinz Fenstermacher

This is a great idea, and is the type of idea I was hoping to get.

The bicycle tire is just a tad too small to fit around the heel of this boot, as it's a cowboy type, but the idea is sound.

I was thinking about the rubber of a car inner tube, which is a bit too soft, but certainly it will do in a pinch for the rubber layer on the bottom.

I went through my leather pile, after autopsying an old catcher's mitt and assorted and sundry shoes, and there was an old boot (another pair) that I may cannibalize the upper leather of, but again, it's thinner than the heel leather.

Reply to
Karlheinz Fenstermacher

Shoe repair requires special skills, special tools, and as you are finding out, a special source of repair materials.

Try a google search for "shoe repair supplies". I do see hits. Good luck.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I wouldn't call leather and rubber "special" tools.

I just need a good source, hopefully scavenged from somewhere (like an old catcher's mitt).

The wife loves it when I fix things without going to the store, but this one is going to be harder, since none of us have a simple three inch section of leather and rubber lying around the house anymore.

What has become of us. Have we all devolved into being *consumers* now? Nobody repairs anymore?

Reply to
Karlheinz Fenstermacher

Dupree is a *male* dominant!

Karlheinz Fenstermacher

Good thing I didn't refer to leather as a tool.

First you ask for a source for boot leather. No one has any answers, but you assert that the leather is not special.

Any boot heel I've seen is a chunk of hard rubber, or a stack of pretty thick leather all glued together. Google can find that stuff, but it won't be at Home Depot.

Some people go to shoe repair shops. Most just throw out their shoes when they break. You appear to be special. Good luck.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Which shows you know little about cobblers and have poor reading comprehension.

I assume you don't have a last. Or even know what a last is and what is used for. How do you intend to join your new heel to the shoe? pegs? nails? adhesive?

Have you tried thrift shops?

Silly questions. Particularly when based on responses from _this_ usenet group which contains mostly useless and poorly considered polemics.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I am pretty good when it comes to fixing things and usually do a fully functional (though not elegant) repair.

I'd sure you could fix your wife's shoe but I'd be surprised if your wife would like it.

There are still expert shoe repair craftsmen who would fix it 100% to your wife's satisfaction.

Just get it done right and it will save your marriage.

Reply to
philo

...as opposed to a stupid question and the OP's penchant for railing against those who can't help her?

This poster comes in asking for help, then slams the group cuz they don't know more than she does. Talk about troll bait.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Probably not.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That's a GREAT idea!

It's so good, that I wish I had thought of it myself.

I love it. Since I don't have "spare" parts lying around, the thrift shop becomes my salvage yard.

Thanks!

Reply to
Karlheinz Fenstermacher

That's also a GREAT IDEA!

In fact, I have a flat wheelbarrow tire at the moment, that I was going to replace. I just needed to remove it and take it to Home Depot to get the right replacement.

You are correct. The Wheelbarrow tire will be easy to cut, and the right thickness. I love that idea. I will see if the treads can be sanded down on my belt sander.

Thanks!

Reply to
Karlheinz Fenstermacher

If you got your wheelbarrow at HD, call the manufacturer. Wheel replacements are free, but they are not done in the store.

Reply to
Dan Espen

sci.electronics.repair alt.shoe.repair alt.sandal.repair alt.stiletto.repair

Don't judge the group by one answer. but otoh a shoe repairman will have the heel already and it will take him ten minutes to put it on (even though he will charge like it took longer. You would have to look all over the place just to find the heel that fits, or a right knife to cut a big one with.

Plus you say it needs leather too. I coudlnt' follow that. Leather under the rubber heel? I have no idea where you would get just the right leather to use there. Except at a shoe repair store, which might for a premium, sell you materials and let you try to do it yourself. I don't even consider paying for most repairs but shoe repair is a real trade and most know their stuff.

In my family we've been going to shoe repairmen for 70 years or more. We were damn poor until 1915 or 1930 (depending on which side of the family) so maybe not then or some of the 30 years after then. Like having the right tool for the job, having the right repairman for the job is also a good idea.

Reply to
micky

Absolutely, and too soft.

My mother recovered desk chairs, including unscrewing the seat, recovering, screwing them back on.

I came across a big piece of leather once and saved it and used it eventually to recover the back of a swivel desk chair. Other parts of the chair have worn out and had to be repaired, but the leather back is still good after about 30 years. I'm sitting in the chair right now. And I think I've done other things with other leather scraps, but shoes and their heels are under far greater strain than most things.

Reply to
micky