How to remove muffler from 12.5HP Mower

Got a riding mower with a 12.5HP Briggs engine. There is about a 3" long piece of 1 inch diameter pipe sticking out of the engine, which is for a muffler. The muffler apparently rusted out leaving just a ring of it on the pipe threads. I put a pipe wrench on that metal, and can not budge it. I tried to both remove that remaining metal, or the whole pipe from the engine. I tried to turn it both directions, and lifter the whole mower off the ground. Still nothing will budge.

With this pipe being screwed into an aluminum head, I dont want to break the head. I thought about heating the remains of that old muffler then applying a wrench, but it's heat that (sort of) welded it on there in the first place.

Anyone know any trick to remove this (without wrecking the pipe threads)?

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I haven't worked much with old rusty stuff, but..... I'd run the engine for a while to get everying hot. Maybe heat it some more with a MAPP torch if you have Mapp gas or propane if you have no mapp. Is there a jamb nut at the base of the pipe? Probably not or you would have mentioned it. If there is, work on that.

If you can't get it off, maybe you can attach a new muffler to the end of this pipe. Maybe with an L pipe so the muffler doesn't stick out too far. Or two L pipes so it sticks out less.

Reply to
micky

Heat and Kroil? I've had good luck (relatively) in the past heating the pipe and quenching it with water a couple of times, then rapping it on the end with a hammer while attempting to turn the pipe with a pipe wrench. If no good results, soak with good penetrating oil - PB Blaster or "Ed's Red" (a DIY mix similar to Kroil) orThere was a product from Wurth I used to use, as well as a heat rizer valve penetrant from BG? Can't remember the details from 30 and more years ago. What it takes most of is PATIENCE and PERCEVERENCE.

Just don't do what I tried once - cutting the pipe out of the head. The exhaust valve was open and all the crap from cutting got into the cyl and screwed it up royally!!!!!

Reply to
clare

That's what I'm trying to do. The pipe is fine and the threads are probably good, but that piece of old muffler is on those threads.

If I can get the pipe out, I can install any piece of pipe that will fit. Actually I'd like to put in an elbow or 45, so I can raise the muffler away from the clutch pedal. It's too damn close!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

You know, a lot of this depends on how sturdy the pipe is. The only time I've had this the remaining pipe was about 3 steps more sturdy than the rrest of the muffler, the part that had rusted and falled off, so applying a wrench risked crushing the pipe, at least where it's not inside the engine. If crushing it outside would crush the part inside the engine, that would be good, but that wouldn't have happened.

OTOH if you can really grip the pipe, and squeeze it without crushing it...,,,

Reply to
micky

I'd keep soaking it with PB Blaster for a day. Could also try running the engine to get it hot, the try removing it. Or getting the engine hot to expand the head, then maybe cooling the pipe off with some crushed ice to shrink it, then apply the wrench. But, I guess you don't want to overdo it with the cooling, at some point I guess you could cause the head to crack if it cools too much suddenly.

Reply to
trader_4

This from a Machinery site (auto mechanics use this)

One suggestion, buy yourself a squirt bottle, some acetone and some Auto-Trans Fluid and do away with all of those other penetrating oils. That stuff is magic!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce None ............... 516 pounds . WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25 PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35 Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds .. $0.21 Kano Kroil ......... 106 pounds .. $0.75 ATF-Acetone mix..... 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF/acetone is a 50/50 mix.

Reply to
bob_villa

Reply to
clare

Last time I had to remove the stub of a pipe, I used two Mapp torches and an internal pipe wrench.

Mine came from Home Depot, in the plumbing aisle.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It takes a big man to admit their foul ups. I am in your crowd. If I had a better memory I would make a list of things that didn't work out well for me. Sometimes twice...

Reply to
Tekkie®

The wise man learns from the mistakes of others The average guy learns from his own mistakes The fool never learns because he never makes mistakes.

Reply to
clare

Well, Bubba, I were trying to clean that engine wit gasoline, and the thing blew up and burned down the garage. Hit weren't a mistayk, I wanted a new garage anyway. You got to go now, the nurse is here to change my burn dressings and give me a new oxygen mask and catheter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The idiot (me) never remembers what I did 10 minutes ago.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

I believe it was Oren. I think people like Clare mentioned the heat, soak i n PB, whack pipe wrench with BFH approach.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Not whack the pipe wrench - whack the end of the pipe, and not the BFH, just the mid-sised shillelagh!!!

Inside pipe wrench doesn't work so well when clobbering the end of the pipe.

Reply to
clare