Cost of Skimming Walls

Just moved into an old house (1940's) - the walls are plastered with

concrete type base? (you hit the wall slightly and the wall crumbles Wanted to have them skimmed so that we can paint or wallpaper them. Any idea of how much it would cost? We have 2 front rooms, fron entrance, stairs, upstairs hall, 3 bedrooms. All average size room really.

Cheers - whywaite

-- whywaites

Reply to
whywaites

Just moved into a 1940's house that has a concrete type base in th

plaster on the walls. You touch the walls slightly and sometimes th wall will crumble. We were wanting or thinking of having the wall skimmed but had no idea of the average cost. Does anyone know? We ar in Berkshire. The rooms are average size with average size ceilings. There are 5 rooms to do, stairs, front entrance and hall upstairs.

[...]

Thats some loud hailer you have there?

Reply to
ben
[snip]

Just how many new threads do you have to start with the same post?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

any chance you can f*ck diybanter right off, and use the newsgroup as it was intended ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

£2-3K
Reply to
Dave Jones

DIYBanter - 'nuff said ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ceilings as well or just walls?

I would guess on 600 - 800 per room if just the walls - another 200 -

300 if you want the ceiling as well. 40 - 100 quid a room if you DIY.
Reply to
John Rumm

Not you again.

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

In Leeds, I was paying about GBP 300 or so plus materials (say very roughly GBP 50 ish) for a room to be boarded over on the ceiling , a bit of patching or boarding on the walls sometime and all over skimming. This is probably on the cheap side as my plasterer was pretty reasonable on price.

Reply to
chris French

Thanks to those with all the price estimate replies that really ha helped. For the others, SORRY!! My computer was messing up everytim I hit submit so I did not mean to have several posts of the sam thread. Sorry to have bothered your group!!

-- whywaites

Reply to
whywaites

These prices seem about twice the correct price but then he didnt mention the size of his rooms.

Reply to
ocidental

Yup, looking at them they are a tad high - I was thinking the quote I got for 1.2k was for two rooms - but in fact that not only included ceilings, but also skimming the stairs and landing.

So half may be closer... (I bought a dozen bags of multifinish and taught myself ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Is it terribly hard to skim yourself? I've heard its a skill that yo

learn over the years. I have never done it - just filled in holes her and there when needed.

Thanks -

John Rumm Wrote:

Reply to
whywaites

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Try it you dont have much to lose, the materials are very cheap. As John Rumm says multifinish is what you want - say 3 bags for a 13' by

8' wall. But practice on a small area in the least important room as your skills will (hopefully) improve as you procede towards the living rooms.
Reply to
ocidental

I and others have posted various long articles on how to skim. Search back on google for them. It's not difficult, but it really does benefit from being shown how to do it, and being shown what you're doing wrong. That does make it quite a challenge to teach someone using books and articles alone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel