Replace asbestos cement garage roof.

Leaving aside the problems with asbestos disposal. What would be the best material to replace the (properly disposed of) corrugated asbestos cement roof? Corrugated bitumen sheets seem ok for sheds but they seem a little flimsy for a garage roof.

Cement fibre?
Same as you have but not asbestos since 1995.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

exactly
In message

Tends to collect condensation on the underside. There was a fairly recent discussion here.
If the purlins are strong enough to support asbestos you could do a OSB/PIR foam/steel sandwich.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

I've never had this problem - possibly because it's about 20' high, and even with a few people in there there's never enough moisture / volume ratio to cause trouble,.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:15:52 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Modern materials aren't durable, are they? Onduline is about 15 years if looked after (kept cleanish and moss etc. removed - not much else that one can do), steel only a bit longer. The roof on my shed is asbestos cement, has had a lot of moss, is only about 7 - 8 deg. slope and is ~60 yo. Yes, it has a few cracks but it doesn't leak. Trouble is, although I'd like to replace it before it cracks in a critical place, there seems to be nothing that would be easy to use. There is only 1 support in 3m at a low angle and anything new would require at least 3 or a full deck - and even a deck needs more support. I'll leave it until a tuit lands in the garden.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly perfect.
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

For me appearance was also an important factor. I chose Steadman's AS 2000, not cheap but long lasting and still looking good 4 years on. http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike.Workshop/Muddymike.10824
Mike
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:09:01 +0100, PeterC

You probably /will/ have to get someone in to repair it.

:-)
Care with installation is important, particularly on shallow pitched roofing. Rain can *bounce* under the sheet laps. Steadmans will recommend using a butyl strip seal and stitcher screws along the laps.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:35:45 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

It's 3m long, same as the shed next to that was done with Corruline, so 2m sheets give a good overlap - about 90cm - and should be enough to stop water getting blown back up the slope.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Sorry. I was referring to the box section, rolled steel sheet side laps.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:45:46 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Ah, thanks. Yes, that would be less pliable and so more likely to have big gaps and on a slack slope watere could easily be blown in.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

... you only need to plan on replacing it once. (In 2008, government staticians reckoned that a 64 year old man in 2011 would have a life expectancy of 22.3 years - so the odds of not making 25 years is only slightly less than 50/50)