Replace asbestos cement garage roof.

Leaving aside the problems with asbestos disposal. What would be the best material to replace the (properly disposed of) corrugated asbestos cement roof? Corrugated bitumen sheets seem ok for sheds but they seem a little flimsy for a garage roof.

Reply to
Bash

In message , Bash writes

Cement fibre?

Same as you have but not asbestos since 1995.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

exactly

Reply to
NT

Tends to collect condensation on the underside. There was a fairly recent discussion here.

If the purlins are strong enough to support asbestos you could do a OSB/PIR foam/steel sandwich.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Modern materials aren't durable, are they? Onduline is about 15 years if looked after (kept cleanish and moss etc. removed - not much else that one can do), steel only a bit longer. The roof on my shed is asbestos cement, has had a lot of moss, is only about

7 - 8 deg. slope and is ~60 yo. Yes, it has a few cracks but it doesn't leak. Trouble is, although I'd like to replace it before it cracks in a critical place, there seems to be nothing that would be easy to use. There is only 1 support in 3m at a low angle and anything new would require at least 3 or a full deck - and even a deck needs more support. I'll leave it until a tuit lands in the garden.
Reply to
PeterC

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly perfect.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've never had this problem - possibly because it's about 20' high, and even with a few people in there there's never enough moisture / volume ratio to cause trouble,.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...

Reply to
PeterC

For me appearance was also an important factor. I chose Steadman's AS 2000, not cheap but long lasting and still looking good 4 years on.

MuddyMike

You probably /will/ have to get someone in to repair it.

Reply to
Geo

In message , Geo writes

:-)

Care with installation is important, particularly on shallow pitched roofing. Rain can *bounce* under the sheet laps. Steadmans will recommend using a butyl strip seal and stitcher screws along the laps.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

... you only need to plan on replacing it once. (In 2008, government staticians reckoned that a 64 year old man in 2011 would have a life expectancy of 22.3 years - so the odds of not making 25 years is only slightly less than 50/50)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

It's 3m long, same as the shed next to that was done with Corruline, so 2m sheets give a good overlap - about 90cm - and should be enough to stop water getting blown back up the slope.

Reply to
PeterC

Sorry. I was referring to the box section, rolled steel sheet side laps.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah, thanks. Yes, that would be less pliable and so more likely to have big gaps and on a slack slope watere could easily be blown in.

Reply to
PeterC