Kitchen sink mixer tap drips - can it be fixed?

Assuming you can find somewhere that sells the oddball type of cartridges that your taps need. There are quite a few variations.

Reply to
Andrew

As Peter Parry would probably point out, it's at this point you discover that the gate valve that shuts off the supply from the hot tank to the kitchen tap is seized solid.

You decide to be brave and whip out the old one and screw in the new using an old towel to stop the hot water splashing around but you cross thread the new one in the process.

By this time hot water at 60 Centigrade has made it to the tap and you cannot screw or unscrew the new ceramic unit, while hot water is pissing everywhere all around you .....

Reply to
Andrew

At which point the more prudent, would stick a bung into the outlet pipe of the cold cistern ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Sort of success - managed to get the cover off (6" of self-amalgamating tape to protect the chrome and 12" of Stillson wrench to shift it).

Even managed to get the cartridge out and disassembled, cleaned up as best I could, regreased and reassembled. Still drips, perhaps not quite so much as it did.

New cartridge time, I think... Will wait until next week when our local plumber's merchants reopens (free sucking-in-of-breath-through-teeth and gentle sarcasm with every purchase) - and if they're not feeling cooperative there's various online possibilities.

Gained some brownie points for trying! Thanks for the advice Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

More than a few! I'm lucky to have a plumbers merchants in town that has extensive stock. Never let me down. Yet!

Reply to
TMH