Kitchen mixer tap

I have what I believe is called a mono mixer tap, similar to the one shown at

some way down the page and is marked Bristol. My problem is that it was diagnosed as having a split lower O ring. I bought 6 new look alikes from a reputable plumbers merchants as spares and have just split a second one trying to put the tap back together. At this point, I must say that I am no newwbie to O rings in both hydraulic and pneumatic systems, so it must be something I am not doing right in my plumbing attempts.

With the neck of the tap out, there is a groove for a PTFE washer (split for obvious reason) another swaged groove for the top O ring and another for a lower one (this is the one that I have split,) but what I can't understand is that the base of the swan neck has a dish shape in it, possibly for a third O ring. As I was not present when the tap was pulled apart, I am not sure what was there in the first place. All I know is that he had to fish out the remains on an O ring. And it was in only 2 parts.

Taking another look at it, one tap feeds from the bottom of the swan neck and the other through the holes above the lower O ring.

Is there a knack I don't know of fitting these O rings, or am I not using enough grease?

Dave Going to fit the last door handle I wrote about last week (the redundant screw holes needing filling.)

Reply to
Dave

Are you sure the groove is for an o-ring? On mine it is for the retaining grub screw to locate into to stop the neck coming out.

Reply to
John

There is no grub screw on this tap, it is held together with nut that screws down after the neck is inserted.

Dave

Reply to
Dave