New kitchen sink

Son arrived at 5-30 pm to fit a new kitchen sink he had advised my wife to buy. This all started off with a leaking swan neck tap. All it needed was 2 new O rings which I had tried to get back in place some time ago. I gave up and left the tap with a small dribble from the swan neck. I was going to remove the swan neck and check the O rings and replace them if required and put plenty of silicon grease on them and re-fit. I suspect that he has tried pushing the swan neck back into the body of the tap and pinched and cut the O rings, as the leak has increased about

6 or 7 hundred percent.

Two new sinks that are smaller than the original later, he is still here re-fitting the original sink with new taps.

I hope we get a working kitchen back again tonight.

Because he has plumbed his own bathroom and his girlfriends bathroom, he thinks he knows all about plumbing. I have worked in the development area almost all my working life and learned to check what could go wrong with a project, before starting.

Wish us good luck, or washing ourselves in the morning will take some time. We have no drinking water and no hot water until the sink is piped up again.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Two words.

Isolation valves.

Good luck

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It was his intention to fit them, but if he had not plumbed up the sink, we wouldn't have had any drinking water as that is our only source.

I wouldn't care, but I could have done this job myself if I had been feeling a bit better.

He left us 3/4 of an hour ago and hopefully we will have no leaks that get under the laminate floor.

Dave, feeling a lot better now we have the water services and drainage back up and working.

Reply to
Dave

No drinking water? Don't you have a bath, shower, or wash hand basin in the house? If the answer is "yes, but they're connected to the cold water tank in the attic and not directly to the water main" then don't let that worry you. Drinking water from there for a few weeks, even if it's lead-lined, isn't going to kill you.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Or a water softener is supplying the rest of the taps. Although I thought that it was OK to drink it apart from people with certain medical conditions and babies.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You haven't seen the crud that is at the bottom of the tank.

When I was a youngster, my father found a dead bird in our cold water tank. Once bitten twice shy.

Apart from that, I am suffering digestion problems and didn't want to push my luck.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have seen crud at the bottom of *my* tank, and it's nothing to worry about, because it tends to settle away from the main flow of water circulating as a result of filling and draining.

These things happen. Doesn't mean the bird died from lead poisoning. :-) Seriously, though, this is easy enough to check for.

You were bitten by a dead bird? Now I've heard everything!

Good excuse. It's a "let them eat cake" situation innit. If you can't or won't drink the water, you'll just have to drink more beer instead.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun