Kitchen Mixer Tap

Mixer tap leaking from the bottom of the spout.

Advice received; remove the grub screw from the back of the base and the spout will lift out. Replace the O-ring and bob's your uncle ... a 5 minute job.

Well the grub screw is out, but the spout will not lift and is making squeaking noises.

Any clues or help out there, plese?

Reply to
gareth evans

The answer is to run the hot tap for a few minutes.

Reply to
gareth evans

Mine does that and there isn't any grub screw.

Reply to
Max Demian

Mine (made by Swan) too. It has been leaking badly for the last couple of years.

I read somewhere that when there's no grub screw you can pull the spout off if you pointed it 'east' or 'west' (ie above the knobs), but I don't know if it's true, and I haven't had the courage to try it. I certainly don't want to do it before I have a set of suitable rubber O-rings (the present ones must be totally wrecked) - but I can't find any definitive source. [I doubt if they all a standard size.] I can't even find any reference to the tap that looks like mine.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Did mine recently. WD40 and lots of force. They tend to build up a corrosion ridge that stops it coming off. The good news was I had a suitable O ring in my selection box. And it no longer leaks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Don't put too much hope in generic O rings. I have a box with dozens of different sizes, yet I have never found one in the box that fits correctly. There are simply too many variations of internal diameter and thickness of the ring.

I really like the Bristan Easyfit taps. They are easy to fit, and it's a

5 min job to swap in a complete new tap after you've fitted the first one. Besides that, Bristan keep good stocks of spares.
Reply to
GB

I've just posted that I've never found a useful one in my box of O rings. Well done, you!

Reply to
GB

Ummmmm........ Thanks for that! Barring there being a fairly common set of standard sizes, I certainly would have expected that you would be able to buy specific repair kits for the various common models. My tap is only 10 years old.

This is the one that most-closely resembles mine (except that most of my spout is straight). However, I don't see it being any easier to replace it. Unless you're good at it, mine is definitely a pretty awkward up-behind the sink job (and I certainly don't want to have to remove the sink to do it).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

That's the whole point of the Easyfit. It comes in two parts. One attaches to the sink and has no moving parts. The other part, which has all the bits that go wrong, is detachable and very very easily replaced.

£56, if you want new, but I'd try the 'used - very good' for £40.

Reply to
GB

alan_m

Ah! Thanks for that. However I'm not too encouraged but the information under "!f held in by neither Grub Screw or Locking Nut". It doesn't inspire me with much confidence! The link to the blog is probably more useful, and at least indicates that there might be a kit for Swan taps (although I'm not sure what the tap's part number is). The obvious problem is that even if you manage to get the spout off, you might have the wrong O-rings, or you might find that the tap itself is damaged (especially if you live in a hard water area, like I do). Even if all is OK, getting the spout back on might be a problem, and there's a risk of damaging the new O-rings.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

My tap that had neither grub screw nor locking nut was held on by a sort of "Bayonet" fitting. The spout had to be turned 90deg to the left so that it was above the left hand tap and wriggled (quite forcefully and it took a good 10 minutes of wriggling to get it apart).

I was unable to get exactly the right O ring but I did find that packing the bottom of the o ring grove with many turns of PTFE tape was sufficient for one in one of the Aldi/Lidl Boxes of assorted O rings to make a perfect seal.

I can say that having got it apart and cleaned it, putting it back together was not a problem

Reply to
Chris B