is Creosote banned? (2024 Update)

our local fencing supplier sells 'creocote'

Reply to
charles

Neither?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well, not yet. Now the patent for Glyphosate has expired there are a number of attempts to ban it, so it can be replaced by a more expensive alternative, which will be toxic to humans .

Reply to
Fredxx

and it's junk.

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1

Simply stains the wood brown.

Reply to
Andrew

People have died from drinking water - too much of it.

I visited the local Wyvales garden centre and they were selling weedkiller in green spray packs that said "Glyposhate Free" and label said it contained Glacial Acetic Acid.

Reply to
Andrew

At least you can put it on your chips.

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to Keith, I'm God, bog off Keith wrote: Yes!.......and at the same time we get to piss off absolute bellends like yourself because the reason chris blamed the EU for banning it, is exactly because it WAS the EU who brought about its ban. As for harmful ingredients - cigarettes, alcohol, need I say anymore. They're killing a lot more people & doing a lot more damage than creosote ever did, typical clown remainer who can never look at the bigger picture!

Reply to
I'm God, bog off Keith

lucky you ,cant get any where i live only creocote .the wood on my gate was untreated I coated it in Creosote for a few times when I could get it .the gate still ok after 25 years .

Reply to
wood chopper

OP asked 9 years ago so perhaps untreated till now, likely it would have rotted away .

Reply to
soup

yes its a fact it does preseve

Reply to
matthardy89

Creosote works perfectly and has no equal from products now on sale. It’s perfectly safe on garden fences and sheds too, as these areas do not come into regular skin contact. When applying, basic common sense is required, such as wearing gloves and eye protection.

Reply to
ash

Another ancient post, (12 years), forwarded by NewsgroupDirect. Their continuing performance posting the homeownershub links to uk.d-i-y prove that they should not be touched with a bargepole, digital or real.

Reply to
Davey

I'm a pole tester and can categorically say no we don't. Perhaps they used to in the old days, but we don't now and haven't done for at least 5 years.

Oldest pole I've tested and passed was from 1897. The alternative to creosote that was used in the early 2000s doesn't last anywhere near as long.

Reply to
Mattc

You don't what?

That's nice, what are you talking about?

Let me guess another response to a decade+ old thread where a good number of the original posted are no longer with us?

John Rumm

Yep, 12 years ago. Roll on the end of Google Groups linking to Usenet.

Reply to
Davey

Reply to an ancient thread.

"In July 2003, it became an offence for the general public to purchase and apply Coal Tar Creosote.

However, the product is still available for sale to trades-people.

This means the traditional user such as the agricultural community, builders, etc. are still able to purchase Coal Tar Creosote, providing they do not resell to the general householder."

-

wasbit

Won't help with the hoh posters - they don't use google

Reply to
John Rumm

If you put plenty on and let it soak in it is very effective ,a top up coat every 10 years helps .I have been using it for 50 years. Use common sense and dont get it all over your skin and you will be fine .

Reply to
Alan