is Creosote banned? (2024 Update)

I couldn't find a source to confirm or deny that. Do you have one?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've just enough to google: it's Russian research that concludes:

85% of PM2.5 particles generated by road traffic are from non-exhaust sources; predominantly tyre wear, road wear and the raising of dust from the road surface.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Link? I can find some who reads Russian if the Google thing won't help me enough.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

if I'd kept the link I'd have posted it for you

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mostly smoking-related, so statins would not have offered any help.

And you are grossly exagerating as usual. The real figure 20 years ago was about 50,000 for heart-related deaths, and declaring war on smokers has dramatically cut that figure.

A tiny proportion of the public have poor lipids and /or BP where statins and other medication will stop them dying early.

The rest have the solution under their own personal control - lose weight, consume less sugar, salt and fewer saturated fats, take more exercise and generally take control of their own lives.

If it does, then it will be prescription-only. If it is OTC then it won't have coal tar ingredients, they are history.

There was no problem. Like the glyphosate scare stories the problem was invented to allow big pharma to sell more expensive and useless alternatives.

Reply to
Andrew

There was a woman on the Today prog this a.m. complaining about exactly that in relation to this new EU data protection bollocks which, ooh look, hits small companies much harder than larger ones. To the general detriment of innovation and enterprise in this country.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Unexaggerated actually or are you going to argue with the BHF about their figures?

They say 150,000 deaths a year.

You really shouldn't believe TNP just because he claims I am always wrong.

I'm one, my cholesterol is 2.7 but the ratio is a bit off.

Makes no difference, nearly all of it is genetic and not food.

8<
Reply to
dennis

I'm not interested what TNP says, the accepted figures from the NHS were about 1000 people dying per week of heart problems in 1997. Attacking smokers was the main reason for the reduction.

Maybe the other 100,000 per year are the health tourists who never managed to make it here.

Reply to
Andrew

replying to chris, Keith wrote: Dear God, you?re actually blaming the EU for banning a product that you admit has harmful ingredients. So we can now add an early death to the break up of the Union and a destroyed economy to the list of prices worth paying to achieve Brexit.

Reply to
Keith

in a message from the year 2011.

They haven't banned it for commercial use.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Chris may well be dead from it by now, since that was eight years ago.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or he is happily living behind his pristine creosoted fences, having the pleasure of not needing to replace or repaint them as he relaxes into well-deserved old age?

Reply to
Bill

Are you so naive that you think all products with some hazard should be banned? What a world that would be! FWIW the hazard from domestic creosote use is as near zero as it gets. The only significant result of its ban is a sizeable increase in the rotting & replacement cost of wooden structures. A total waste.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And happily inhaling that memory-evoking smell!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Steer clear of farms, BT poles and Electric poles then, because the latter 2 organisations use super-treated wooden poles, not merely spray treated.

Reply to
Andrew

When the electricity pole in the corner of the garden in my previous bungalow was replaced, on hot sunny days we were treated to the smell of creosote. It was at least a couple of years before it finally went.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We bought some new legal stuff which smells just like creosote. I doubt it is as effective, even though it appeared much the same etc.

I think we bought it in B&Q in a sale last year, did some fences, and a few more some weeks back.

No sure of the exact name but it mimicked Creosote.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The smell of creosote always reminds me of the tree walk in Scarborough..........diesel fumes remind me of Mr Whippy....and cigars always remind me of Christmas.......sewage reminds me of the Glasgow Underground ........steam train steam always remind me of em...steam trains ...two stroke reminds me of Gibraltar and Spain.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

pine takes me right back to our brand new Lawrance house in 1959 .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Dont drink the dihydrogen oxide. People have died from it.

Dont spray your plants with glyphosate People have not died from it.

Guess which one is banned.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher