is Creosote banned? (2024 Update)

That agrees with what I said BTW. Mine is OK without any treatments for the last 25 years. As I said creosote does nothing and your evidence says the same.

Reply to
dennis

I'd cheerfully throttle CAS given half a chance. The second most infuriating thing on Radio 4, just behind Shela Dillon's Unbearably Smug Food programme. Melanie Philips doesn't count 'cos I run towards the radio so fast to turn it off that all I can hear is a high whistle.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Excellent!

(And exactly how I feel about The Archers.)

Reply to
Huge

From listening to all Radio 4 except the archers, these days I never even put it on at all.

Occasionally I find I have missed something rather good, - material world occasionally has a snippet, but I player sorts that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is your monopoly, although there are others trying for that job.

Reply to
dennis

Is that the same Melanie Philips who is a columnist for the Daily Mail? Seen her a few times on Question Time and she spoke utter drivel about whatever was the subject.

Reply to
Thumper

Yes, it seems that generally speaking it's most helpful to take anything he says with a very large pinch of STFU.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes, it seems that generally speaking it's most helpful to take anything he says with a very large pinch of STFU.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Dennis, the pair of highly-vocal 'nads?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Well being as none of the people that have replied have even bothered to read my posts I don't think I will worry about them. All have said how effective creosote is when applied by pressure treatment when I specifically said applied by DIY, i.e. brushing or soaking. The one poster that actually said he had soaked the stuff missed the point anyway.. saying a fence has lasted 38 years while only being painted with creosote does mean it has lasted any longer than if he hadn't painted it with creosote. Mine, however, has been up for 30 years and has not been painted with anything in the last 25 years. I still say that creosote does nothing useful for any diy user and citing telephone poles and sleepers as examples of where it has worked is irrelevant.

The way to stop fences rotting is to make sure they can dry out, this kills the rot. No amount of soaking a fence post in creosote will stop it rotting in the ground as it leaches out quickly. If it worked why are concrete posts so popular? Even proper pressure treated posts will rot in the ground after a decade or two.

Add to the ineffectiveness of creosote the dangers, the horrid colour, the smell, the fact it kills plants, doesn't dry for weeks, have to keep kids and pets away from it for weeks and you have to ask why anyone would want the stuff.

Reply to
dennis

I soaked the end grain, nothing more. It amounted to about 6 inches of the 8 - 10ft rails and the last couple of inches of the verticals. All the rest was painted with a brush. This was bog standard softwood, never, ever intended for outdoor use but was otherwise going to waste.

If you really expect a softwood to last 38 years without any treatment then you must be living in a secure indoor facility that doesn't permit pissing on the woodwork

Reply to
The Other Mike

If you talked any more sense you'd still be talking complete bollocks

Reply to
The Other Mike

Yup, the Bile Duct gives her page-space, too. I occasionally pick the filthy rag up at the FiL's house when there's nothing else to read.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Just for a moment I thought you were talking about Melanie Philips.

Reply to
Skipweasel

It's not me that is suggesting that putting creosote on fences causes them to have a shorter lifespan than untreated fences.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Probably best to do a wiki article on how creosote reduces the lifespan of a fence:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That might be because untreated fences are liable for VAT.... or sumfink

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You are the only one to suggest it does!

Reply to
dennis

It was you that said yesterday at 19:03 "Because I haven't been using it for years and the ones that have have had to replace their fences."

You really are a first class tool.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So what, that does not say that I claimed the stuff with creosote last less. The local conditions could easily account for one fence rotting a few years earlier, it may even mean that some creosoted fences will last longer than mine. If creosote actually made much difference the majority of treated fences would last longer.

You are just thick.

Reply to
dennis