Internet-monitored house alarm

Can anyone recommend a home (or industrial) intruder alarm panel that you can set / monitor its status over the internet. Preferably something that one can plug straight into a cable modem Maybe there is something from the home automation market that would do the job that could be bolted on

- something that would accept (say) eight contact closures and output eight relay Dont want to have to leave a pc on all the time

Many thanks

Reply to
DMac

Dunno about Internet alarm panels, but have you thought about a wireless camera with its own built in server? these can be attached to a conventional alarm system whereby it triggers the alarm when movement is within the boundries of its view and still be viewed over the internet remotely. These cameras are linked directly or wirelessly to the Modem without the need for the computer being on. They are a little expensive though but in my opinion so would a internet alarm panel.

Reply to
ben

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:35:42 GMT, "DMac" scrawled:

Depends how much you want to spend. I get a feeling this will be some laughably small amount.

Definitely modules and alarms available. Not something that are DIY though and aren't cheap either.

Reply to
Lurch

This is what Red Care is for.

Reply to
Huge

I (and a few others here) have installed Cytech Comfort alarm systems (I've done two in different houses). At the time when I did mine, their computer interfacing capability was limited to an RS232 connection, and I have written my own software to interface these to the internet. Comfort do provide Windows software to do it, but I don't allow access to any Windows systems from the Internet, so I haven't investigated that. However, I notice they now do an interface board which runs embedded Linux and provides ethernet access, and I imagine this would do what you want.

Note that a Comfort system isn't going to come anywhere near the cheap end of the spectrum. The systems also include very comprehensive home automation facilities, a fully integrated phone line interface (not just an autodialler), and are extremely programmable/configurable/expandable, and the price reflects this. They are intended to be DIY installable if you are sufficiently compitent, but they have a network of installers too. They provide the low level technical interfacing details if you want to develop your own add-ons to the system, as I (and some others) have done. The minimum spec Comfort system has 8 inputs (can be used as alarm zones or to trigger home automation functions) and 8 outputs. When I bought mine, this was expandable to 64 of each (the bigger of my two systems currently has 40 of each), but I believe it now goes higher than 64 on their current systems. You can increase the size of the system as requirements and funds allow.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 24 Sep 2005 17:33:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) scrawled:

Half way there.

Reply to
Lurch

thanks Andrew, this is starting to look good. I'll investigate some more

Reply to
DMac

The UK supplier is

Andrew Gabriel