Monitored Burglar System

I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house. My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the annual cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a net cost of about $45.00 a year.

Any recommendations for a good monitored system? Does any group or publication evaluate these systems? Any personal experiences (good or bad) with these systems?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Get to know the neighborhood police officer.

I'm not joking.... They will know which INSTALLERS cause the most false alarms. In one town ADT will have fewer false alarms. In another it will be Brinks.

Another thing to look at is the control panel. Ask to see and get instructions on the model of the panel that will be INSTALLED. (Beware of "Bait and switch") You don't want to be confused when you're trying to turn of the alarm in a hurry. (Forgetting it's armed when you're tired and open the door to get the paper at 5am...)

Also find out how it is to add/change "guest" codes for when you have someone house-sitting etc.

Brad

BTW: I've used ADT. The warning beep is the same tone as the keypress on mine, so it's confusing to some people.

Reply to
Brad Bruce

Buy your system and maybe your service separately. Package deals require contracts.

In most parts of the US 15-18 per month is the service fee for a no contract service.

Check out Clark Howard's website for useful information.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I just had a rather expensive motorcycle stolen from my garage. I am now also looking at monitored systems, do you know if they have zones? What I'd like is a system that will emit a loud siren if the garage security is breached but won't make the entire house go off at the same time. These scumbags obviously had time to work on the bike as it was locked up in there.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Hi All:

I used to install residental systems. To answer all your questions, yes, the system can be armed to activate when your garage door is opened.

You should set yourself up with a good company that offers free service while you have your system monitored with them. Most will include this in the monthly cost or may charge you $5.00 more per month. Its worth it, changing out a keypad alone may cost $100.00 depending on the system. Also, the big companies (ADT) don't need your business. Your system can be down for a week before they'll set up a service call for you. The little guy runs like hell when your system is down. I worked for a small company (4000 accounts) and we basically knew all our customers. When someone had a problem, we were there within 12 hours. I can't tell you how many accounts we stole from the big guys cause of this. Ademco is also a big name in security so if your offered this equiptment its usually pretty good.

Good luck on your search!!

Reply to
SEPrince1

Any of the monitored systems have zones. You can have a zone for the garage. However, what I don't understand is why you would want the garage zone to not set off the alarm for the house when tripped. All the systems I'm familiar with have zones that can be armed or disarmed as you wish, but once a zone that's armed is tripped, it set off the alarm for the entire system and it gets reported to the alarm center. That seems very reasonable to me.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Ademco is owned by Honeywell nowadays.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Brad Bruce wrote: /snip/

Also make sure you ask the cops how MANY of each brand (ADT/Brinks/etc.) are installed. Obviously, the more systems are installed, the more false alarms there will be.....

Reply to
Travis Jordan

"Mike" wrote

To benefit from the alarm discount on the insurance, very often the insurance company will deny any claim for theft from intruders if the alarm is not activated. So pop across the road to a neighbour for a few seconds (or possibly even just into the back garden) leaving the alarm off, and an opportunist thief reaches through an open window or walks in and out, and you aren't covered for the theft. Could cost you a lot more than $45.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You could have a self monitored system. Mine costs just a pager and tells ME when anything happens. No false alarms, just raw data (like car in driveway, back door opened, movement in kitchen, etc)

Reply to
Nick Hull

The town I live in allows my alarm system dialer to phone the Police department with a recorded message and they will respond. I needed to apply for a free permit to do this and after 4 false alarms in a calendar year I would have to pay a fine for every subsequent one. I also have the dialer programmed to call both mine and my wife's cell phones.

Reply to
tgilb

Check out alt.security.alarms Bunch of pros hang out there. Good advice, but the NG can be a little rough at times.

Bob

Reply to
rck

We have ADT and they are OK. Personally, I would look into a local place---ask to see their facility---and you will probably get better, more personal service. I've heard good stories about local people who know their customers and fire/police departments.

Some things you want to consider:

*Get two panels and/or remotes. You can have panels in two locations and remotes in standard locations. If they want to charge you a lot, find another vendor. At very least, get a panel/control center for each main floor of living.

*The water and fire sensors are (really) the most useful. If your basement floods, the alarm goes off, etc. Also, some have temp sensors that can tell if your boiler if off (and you are on a cruise or something).

*Find out if your town charges for false alarms. (Mine doesn't thank god.) For fire alarms, most send the department immediately, regardless if you call in.

*Teach your family that if there's trouble, just walk up and smack the emergency buttons on the panels :). Then call 911.

*Call them and disable the system ANY TIME you change batteries, etc. I guarantee you will set off the alarm occasionally.

*Stock up on sensor batteries. Nothing worse then one dying at 10 p.m. Sat. night.

*ADT will want to slap stickers all over your w> > I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
Reply to
<BKS>

Reply to
Mike

Very useful information. What are zones?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thius is a good thing. A monitored system will reduce my home owners insurance by $80.00 a year not that irt's very expensive now.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks,