burglar alarm

Any recommendations for a diy burglar alarm for a scout hut. I thing I want the dual microwave plus PIR sensors and a wired system 'phoning out via a payg sim. 5 rooms including vestibule.There's nothing particularly valuable to protect but once notified someone can be on the scene in seconds.
AJH
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:23:58 +0100, andrew wrote:

Assuming that it's not 0330 and the respondee(s) are not tucked up in bed sound alseep... And what are they going to do even if they do get there and find intruders? People caught where they shouldn't be tend to react in a none to friendly manner. Citizens Arrest? Very, very grey area of law and best avoided.
Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I guess that's true of any burglar alarm. In this case I've been delegated to look at the problem , the decision to have an alarm has been taken. I just want a cost effective installation.
I imagine deterring vandals is a major consideration.
AJH

Ours is a commercial installation but I am sure there are lots of DIY jobs available. Screwfix for one:-)
You will need a door entry switch and the keypad to set and re-set the alarm. After that you might be able to economise on PIR detectors if entry routes are obvious. Phone home is beyond my experience.

Yes. The experience here with our barns and the cricket pavilion was that entry was gained for solvent abuse etc. and fires set on their way home. Noise at the outset would probably have saved the insurers.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

What did they put in the cricket pavilion? I'm hoping to get away with just 5 dual tech PIRs a keypad/controller and the GSM dialler and have costs below 300 quid plus a small amount of my time.
AJH

I don't know. I don't even know anyone who plays there to ask. Sorry.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Note, your PAYG sim will probably expire after 6 months if not used, so an occasional test call would be advised,
Allan

As often advised on here, most important is physical security. (door/gate locks, window locks, door/windows/gates/fences properly maintained, security lighting, etc.)
For the alarm, there are probably two significant aspects. Firstly, making it a visible deterrent with visible external sounders with flashing LEDs so they stand out at night. That combined with good physical security basically says it's easier to go and break-in somewhere else, so don't bother here.
Then, if the physical security and the visible alarm deterrent fail, I think sound bombs are a good idea. They may scare off the burglars before they do further damage. You really don't want to meet them face-to-face though.
There are a number of things to consider which you haven't mentioned. Such as is there anything stored in there which is particularly attractive to steel (e.g. a room full of PC's). Also, is the building in the middle of an urban residential area, or out in the sticks with just one or two households nearby? Do you have an insurance requirement to fit the alarm?
BTW, I wouldn't have thought a PAYG contract was a good choice. You really want a permanent contract for something like this. You could use a land line if the line is well enough protected against being cut. If you're looking for a monitored solution, then there are things like RedCare which will detect the line being cut.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Cameras and recorders are now a lot cheaper. A notice saying 'you are being recorded' with physical evidence of it being true might also be a deterrent. It might encourage imntruders to burn the place down to destroy recorded evidence of course, but casting doubt into even a moronic brain might work.
Peter Scott
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Wozza sound bomb then?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Name for an extra loud sounder - usually multiple transducers.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB2.html
--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Used indoors, to create a sound which is too painfully loud to hang around.
--
Andrew Gabriel

The soft equivalent of this
http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id )9
Sound bomb 111dB Master Blaster 127dB Air Raid Warning Siren 135db
I fitted 3 in a soil lab. Testing them out was fun.
Adam

Call that a siren?
This is a siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfYnByuTQ0

138dB and the loudest air raid siren ever made according to the web.
Adam

Was it a soiled lab before you tested them :-?
These are my faves for indoors and I've taken the guts out of them to retrofit into weedy external boxes: http://cpc.farnell.com/elmdene/int400/elmdene-internal-sounder/dp/SR02959
The 120dB isn't bad for an internal box and it's moving coil rather than peizo so a better and more painful tone IMHO. Dead cheap too.
The SAB version is full volume on battery too (via inverter) which is nice.
--
fred

Being slightly deaf and having a reasonably large house I use one of these as my door bell sounder. It has two plus points, firstly I can hear it anywhere in the house and secondly the person at the door gets positive feedback that the bell push has worked.
If you have these as part of your alarm system no one will want to stay in the same area as them!!
--
Bill

I hear tell that a Max Bygraves LP played at normal volume has the same effect.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
andrew wrote:

If vandalism is an issue then I would suggest exterior CCTV cameras. If the property is isolated then motion detectors[1] coupled to a recorded voice module shouting "CCTV is in operation, please leave the premises, you are being watched and recorded" at the intruders might be effective[2].
I think you need to consider what action is going to be taken in the event of an alarm, and at the least have a protocol for two people to investigate, having regard for the personal safety of the investigators.
Have you spoken to the local police? Many areas have Crime Prevention Officers who will provide free and impartial advice about security.
Owain
[1] This could be motion detection in the camera, in the CCTV recorder, or separate PIR detectors. The cameras could even be dummies.
[2] 'voice challenge' is now a requirement for a police response to an incident reported by a remote CCTV monitoring station. Voice challenge is very effective at getting intruders to leave quickly. A recorded module wouldn't meet police requirements, of course, but the intruders would not know that. You might need to re-record the audio frequently.

We installed a "screamer" siren (audible for around a mile) on the roof of our mountain hut, plus a loud alarm inside. Someone smashed the locks off two doors and opened them. Fortunately the alarm was one which reset itself even if doors were left open. The sensor inside kept turning the siren on when they went inside, and they left without doing any more damage.. The plywood I glued and bolted on the inside of the doors worked well. Now we need better locks.