Yale wireless burglar alarm kit at Aldi

Aldi are shortly doing a Yale wireless Burglar alarm kit for £79. Not that we have anything worth pinching and a fifteen year old car out front, but there have been a lot of burglaries in our area recently.

Cannot make up my mind about this alarm, especially seeing some of these conflicting reviews in Amazon:

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have something worth stealing?

Grateful for any advice about whether to buy one of these.

Reply to
john west

Or make the thief think that maybe burgling next door is the easier option.

Don't try for the £5 discount on your insurance policy for a DIY fitted alarm. Do not tick the "is the property alarmed" box. insurance companies want alarms professionally fitted with an ongoing expense maintenance contract.

Reply to
alan_m

Unless it is a new build or someone asking for one fitting when moving into their new (but not new build) house then 70% of the alarms I fit are fitted the week after the owners were burgled.

So what is the average household going to have that is worth stealing?

On a typical road with similar houses then you would expect similar stuff from each house[1]. So which house would a burglar normally break into? The one with the alarm (or might have an alarm) or the one that clearly has no alarm.

[1] Certain exceptions for some home owners if you know what they do for a living.
Reply to
ARW

I've installed half a dozen of the ones on the Amazon link, no problems at all. A lot of bad reviews are written by halfwits who aren't able to read instruction.

If it is that package that's well cheap & I will be buying one for home.

Reply to
David Lang

you are not the first person i have heard say that but they have all been female ;(

Reply to
Mark

Lots of shiny new goodies provided by the insurance?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The one offered by Aldi doesn't look like the same system to me. Would be remarkable if it were - at less than half of Amazon's price.

Reply to
Roger Mills

alan_m

/The one offered by Aldi doesn't look like the same system to me. Would be remarkable if it were - at less than half of Amazon's price. /Q

They're the same family so the only difference is the panel or lack of panel, panels & all the bits are all available on eBay amazon etc

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The Aldi one is usually £99 so its a good deal.

Reply to
David Lang

On yer average houseing estate not likely, the posh end of town with the detached 6 bedroom places in 2 acres of manicured garden, maybe.

easier

+1

Bit of a (understandable) knee jerk or do insurance companies insist on or shove the premium up after a burglary? A return visit by the tea leaves a few weeks after a burglary is not unknown, either at a guess when the stolen stuff has been replaced or by simply driving past on bin/recyling day and seeing what boxes have been put out...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice