roof joist specifications

I am putting a pitched roof with tiles, onto a single brick garage(I have removed the flat roof) My neighbour used pre formed trusses for an identical garage, but I fancy trying to build a traditional roof myself. Does anyone know a website where I can get the specification requirements for joist/rafters sizes if binders are required etc etc. to meet building regulations. Thanks Neil

Reply to
Neil

Worth a look at are...

I don't think these two contain the actual "Span Tables" that you require. I can't find where I've put those but use Google and search for "Span Tables".

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

| I am putting a pitched roof with tiles, onto a single brick garage(I have | removed the flat roof) My neighbour used pre formed trusses for an | identical garage, but I fancy trying to build a traditional roof myself. | Does anyone know a website where I can get the specification requirements | for joist/rafters sizes if binders are required etc etc. to meet building | regulations.

Remember to make it extra strong, and high so that you can store wood, pipes etc. etc. up there. I cheated and used pre formed trusses.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Have a word with your building control people - they are generally quite helpful.

Assuming it's a single width garage, you can probably get away with 6x2 joists and rafters without needing any purlins. Each pair of rafters need to be nailed to a joist to stop the roof from spreading. You'll also need some diagonal braces to the keep the rafters in the right place.

Reply to
Set Square

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:05:56 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Neil" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The 1992 edition of Approved Document A is still available on the ODPM's website

Documents and Publications, Structure). This edition had the span tables in the back. The spans and sizes have only changed slightly, so they'll give you a ball park figure.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Thanks for help. It is a single width garage. I have to cut the rafter flush with brick work to match in with existing fascias on main building, over a porch and window, which means no birds mouth joint at wallplate. Do you think this would affect the strength of roof? I was going to draw a plan for building control after weighing up advice etc. Neil

Reply to
Neil

Why do you need "building control"? If it's a garage, and you're not making it higher than 4m., just do it. Whack on some 4x2 "wall plates". Build the structure with more 4x2, no need for cutting birdsmouths, use strapping. Whack on some 2x2s the length of the thing, suitably spaced to work with 8x4 Sterling Board, and finish the lot off with corrugated iron, with shiplap behind the gutters and at the ends. That's approximately what I've done, anyway, on a sectional concrete garage, & it's fine.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The book "Buliding Regulations explained" has it all.

Rick

Reply to
Rick