traditional roof (2024 Update)

I am putting a traditional roof on my sons garage (wallplates already in

position). Can anyone recommend a website or give me the best order of

proceeding. For example is it best to start by putting ridge board into wall

and putting a set of rafters at the gable end. I have never done one before

but fancy having a go. Someone sent me a link to making the birdsmouth

cuts so I am okay with that.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

OK here goes, I just built my first roof, its 125 square meteres and

has 4 different interceting ridge lines, oh, and the walls arn't

square.

I had a ridge beam, so my rafters rested on the ridge and the wall

plate. I put the first rafter up, and marked it, cut it, and supprise

myself when it fitted. I then measured the position of the cuts on all

the rest, and cut away, a few days later I had one section done.

I guessed 5 days work before I started, it took neerer 25 days, the

hip jack rafters were taking 3-4 hours each to get right.

What I would change

1) use the smallest timer possible, I used 6x3 green dougals fir, at 15 foot long it weights too much to mess arround with. 2) I would get the walls parellel, and also parallel to the ridge, I

would take much (like days worth) care about this.

3) I would buy a decent jigsaw to do the cuts, the chop saw was a pain

in the arse with wood that big and heavy.

Wihat I did right

1) I purchased too much wood - and used it all. 2) I did the biggest bits first, so any mis cuts could be reused 3) scaffold - lots of it, I can't do a good job if I am scared of

falling.

I also used a pile of battons to place up on the roof, to give me an

idea of what I was aiming at, this really helped.

I have a book, which I can't remember the title of, but amazon have

several on framing roofs - it helped quite a bit, lots of good

pictures !!

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I think

Reply to
Antonio Menapoli

On 16/02/2024 in message

<17b44448ea6689fc$418047$1065885$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

Ant>I think

Therefore you am?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

No. Therefore he heard it on the BBC/read it in theGuardian.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Discussing my first roof build, it spanned 125 square meters with 4 intersecting ridge lines. Challenges included non-square walls and hefty timber. Reflections suggest using smaller timber and ensuring wall and ridge alignment. Safety was paramount with ample scaffold. Visual aids and a helpful framing book proved invaluable.

Reply to
Ewan.Davids

Was there some point to this reply to an 18-year old post?

When the google groups garbage gets switched off, will we also be free of

these homeowners dweebs?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sadly not I fear...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hey Neil,

It's great that you're taking on this project! Starting with the ridge board and then placing the rafters at the gable end sounds like a solid approach. Make sure to double-check measurements and use a level to ensure everything is aligned correctly. Best of luck! If you need more guidance, feel free to ask.

Reply to
Ewan.Davids