Disabling a house alarm

The alarm outside our house has become extremely difficult to access, due to building work (removing a rusty fire escape put in when the building was an orphanage).

I'm wondering if it is possible to disable it internally?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Of course. It'll likely trigger but the backup battery will flatten if it works at all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, I know that, as it goes off if I disconnect the circuit breaker for the utility room where it is based (and the kitchen). Is there no way of avoiding this? Also, are there clear instructions anywhere on what to do after disconnecting the circuit?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

If you wish to completely disable the alarm system,after disconnecting the main supply you would need to disconnect the battery in the 'siren/bell box'and also the one in the alarm system control panel.

Ash Burton

what do you want to do?

since he can't reach it the only realistic option is just disconnect it. It won't alarm forever.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd like to leave open the possibility of re-using it later (with a different external alarm).

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Disconnecting it doesn't prevent that. The axe method would.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you disconnect it and let it ring until the battery is flat the battery would be ruined after a short time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'd have thought that having a placeyou cannot get to is not a good move as how the heck can it be decorated or repaired?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A shotgun came to my mind, especially if the alarm is out of reach!

If the alarm has its own battery and its own circuitry for trigging an alarm if disconnected from the system or tampered with, I don't see how you can disable it without physically removing the battery. After all, they are designed to be proof against interference by burglars etc.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Of course. What else do you propose, keep it on charge so it can sound forevermore? Honestly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes (or maybe). Method depends on Make/model of alarm panel and of bell box. I had to do that while replacing the panel in my daughter's alarm system. There may be 4, 5 or even 6 wires from the bell/strobe and there are multiple wiring schemes between different bell and panel manufacturers. Some modern alarms may have an external sounder disable function buried in the engineer menus.

Reply to
Geo

He said he might want to re-use it at a later date. At least that's one interpretation of his ambiguous post. Clever dickey!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

He can reuse it. The alarm box backup battery just won't run it if its wiring is cut.

If you're proposing to keep the battery serviceable without accessing it you'd need to read the manual, which the OP evidently doesn't have, and I doubt it would be workable. Usenet turns another simple job into a pointless discussion.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

By "possibly re-use it", I meant re-use the alarm system with a different external alarm. Incidentally, the alarm has gone off a couple of times, and the battery in the external alarm dies down after about 20 minutes, so I guess it is not in the best of health anyway.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

So the external alarm isn't of value? My shotgun solution wasn't such a daft idea then! :-)

But be aware that many external alarm systems are timed so as not to drive the neighbours to distraction. Times can be changed if you have engineer access to the programme. My own system allows for external alarm periods of 1.5, 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes, with the default being 15 minutes.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Think they have to stop after about that time by law anyway. So the internal battery may be OK.

If it has gone off randomly, no problem then if it does go off when you disconnect it. I'd not just cut the cable as there's the (remote) possibility of shorting the 12v output from the panel and damaging something. Switch off the mains to the panel, open it up, disconnect the battery if fitted, and then the bell box. Use earplugs if needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

nothing to stop you doing that if it's compatible.

Is that running from the bellbox backup battery or the main panel battery?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see it I can work out who made the alarm, and see if I can find the appropriate manual.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy