Internet car sales

I may be being paranoid, but............

In looking to find an affordable auto 4x4 that will tow 3.5 tons and has low range with no difflock, I seem to keep coming across suspicious adverts (ebay, gumtree, etc.) often for Range Rover Sports that invite questions to an email address at tbtmail.uk or bmbmail.uk. Prices are always suspiciously low and usually there is no feedback history. The cars seem to be listed for a long period, so maybe never actually sell.

I just ignore them usually, but today I was intrigued and tried to find something about tbtmail.uk or bmbmail, but there seems no information anywhere.

Today's flurry of adverts seem to be "from" "garrythegrout" of Bromsgrove, who has 4 low-priced Land Rover products for sale in Liverpool. It looks as though this may be a stolen identity.

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't think what the aim is.

Reply to
Bill

They don't exist.

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

Reply to
Huge

Ask the registrant?

Robin

You are right to be suspicious.

$whois bmbmail.uk

Domain name: bmbmail.uk

Registrant: Peter Clarke

Registrant type: Unknown

Registrant's address: Petsan Barn Lane Burry St Edmonds suffolk IP33 1YH United Kingdom

Data validation: Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 16-Jul-2017

Registrar: Crazy Domains FZ-LLC [Tag = CRAZYDOMAINS-AE] URL:

Relevant dates: Registered on: 13-Jun-2017 Expiry date: 13-Jun-2018 Last updated: 16-Jul-2017

Registration status: Registered until expiry date.

Name servers: ns1.crazydomains.com ns2.crazydomains.com

WHOIS lookup made at 12:55:34 21-Jul-2017

Can't even spell Bury St Edmunds The same guy is behind tbtmail.uk

Mail records point to google gmail, so its an individual in all likelihood posing as summat else.

Here is his house

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2482333,0.7231207,3a,75y,65.79h,87.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smU-7gjdXFWKCokbGbMeLCg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Rubbish

Probably just to get your email address, or perhaps a 'deposit'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

damn, I thought you were starting a thread on internet sales of new cars

Cos I don't understand that trend

why would someone go on the web to choose their car and voluntarily pay FULL price, just to avoid a trip to the dealer for a discount?

tim

Reply to
tim...

more fool the people who buy cars without seeing them

even if we ignore the risk of being scammed, why do people do this anyway?

(same goes for flat/room rental)

Reply to
tim...

Because they are as dim as you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our Citroen C4, now replaced, came from buyacar.co.uk in 2008, and we got a decent discount. Deposit was a grand IIRC. In fact, due to a loophole in their procedures, the car was delivered before they got the balance, but as an ordinary honest citizen I notified them and paid by BACS. I was registered as second owner, with Buyacar as first owner, again IIRC. They did keep the logbook for 6 months (at which point it arrived in the post) to prevent people buying cheap and selling on straight away. But they'd made it clear they'd do that and that may have been a condition of the agreements they'd themselves made with main dealers to supply cars.

I went with them then because they had a good website with good details of all models and it was easy to spec up a car and compare it with any other that one also specced up, including on price.

When late last year I was repeating the process, I found they'd mucked with their website and it wasn't so easy to navigate or make comparisons. So I dealt with the dealer (Toyota) instead and found them quite OK.

Reply to
Tim Streater

that's different.

that one of those brokers who finds you the dealer offering the best discount fo the car you are after.

I am referring to buying direct from the manufacturer's website i.e toyota.com, at which I believe, it's full price or no car

tim

Reply to
tim...

Likewise I bought my car from DriveTheDeal, you fully spec the car, they find the dealer in the country who most wants the business, so you get a decent discount and they get a kickback.

None of that bollocks, I am the first owner.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Then indeed I wouldn't see the point.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I bet you you get an email back inviting you to take a car with 300 miles on the clock at a special discount. Provided you dont tell te dealers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With classic cars for sale on Ebay, the favourite bit of fun, after the pub, seems to be bidding to win with zero intention of buying.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which makes a difference when selling. A one owner car is always favourite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless the first owner was A. Vis or similar.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I've bought a couple of cars at auction direct from a lease company. Not quite the same as car rental. But some might assume a company car to be treated worse than a private one. Both were very good value. And at least you can be sure what you're getting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Come on nobody is surely going to buy a car like that sight unseen are they? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I can just about cope with being scammed. But some people get tricked into turning up at an address with a few thou in their back pocket in cash. They then get mugged.

Reply to
GB

I bought my present car at auction after it came off lease to the producer of the latest St Trinians films. I checked the boot, but no nubile girls, or even hockey sticks.

Reply to
GB

Made no difference to us. We sold it to the insurance cpy.

Reply to
Tim Streater