Hunter roundline gutter clips

Fitting gutter on my garage/workshop. All going well except..... Hunters webpage says the system has easy-to-use thumb clips to hold the gutter in the connecting bracket and to fit the stop end Their testers must have thumbs like a gorilla!! (Um.. Do gorillas have thumbs?) No way can I get them to engage. I've even tried placing a piece of wood over the top and using a G-clamp to force the gutter into the connecting bracket. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Reply to
Chris Holford

In article , Mark writes

Good idea! I gave up and bodged it by shaving a few mm off the edges of the gutter and then using a big butch pair of pliers to bend the clip. Despite the bodge the gutter seams pretty securely fixed.

Reply to
Chris Holford

The reason you are having the difficulty is that the gutter is not seating properly in the fitting when the clip is still on the fitting. You have to take the clip right off, put the gutter in the fitting and put the clip back on. Also do it in a warm environment.

Reply to
harry

some Marley floline can can be blooming tight as well, i use pipe pliers to bend the clip

-
Reply to
Mark

webpage says the system has easy-to-use thumb clips to hold the gutter in t he connecting bracket and to fit the stop end Their testers must have thumb s like a gorilla!! (Um.. Do gorillas have thumbs?) No way can I get them to engage. I've even tried placing a piece of wood over the top and using a G

-clamp to force the gutter into the connecting bracket. Has anyone found a way to do this? -- Chris Holford

Make sure the gutter support brackets have been fixed square not twisted on one side and are centred. If one of the brackets stands back from centre i t will force the gutter out of line and tight to fit. When attaching gutter fitting spray a light coating of silicon lubricant on the rubber seals. Do n?t file or cut away any material from the gutter, yes it will go in but it also releases the tension on the water seal rubber and will most likely drift apart later.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

It will shrink in cold weather, and the gutter won't be able to contract past the grooves you've made, which usually means that the guter pulls itself out of the joints / outlets.

You should have pulled harder!

Reply to
Phil L