mole grips

Hello,

I see there are two types of mole grips: ones with straight jaws, and ones with curved jaws. Which is most useful or should you always have a pair of both in your toolbox? When do you use each type?

Thanks. Rob

Reply to
Robert

There are masses of variants of the Mole 'locking vice grip' style tool with jaws of every conceiveable shape. The straight parallel jaw variety, not suprisingly perhaps, would be used to grip things that have parallel sides, like a large nut or a square bar. Whereas the curved jaw style, again not suprisingly, would be used to grip curved things like a piece of iron gas barrel or a thick rod.

Don't confine yourself t!o those two shapes - Google Mole welding pliers

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

My mole grips have a curved, toothed part nearest the pivot and with flats at the opening end. Hence they can be used for gripping rounded objects _and_ attaching to flats, to use as a clamp, as well. I'd suggest two pairs like that: one big and one small.

Reply to
pete

The ones that say "Made by Mole" on the side, secondly the ones from Vise-Grip.

My cheap Chinese ones all met a firey death one day when I welded the damned lot of them into a block of scrap steel. I was working on a large welding project and their poor locking and resultant tendency to fly off when I breathed on them was driving me spare. Nowadays I just buy the good ones.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I had a cheap Chinese pair, and was using the usual trick of closing them, winding them shut on the nut/pipe/whatever, opening them, doing the screw up a bit more, then heaving them shut again....

I did the screw up quite a bit as they were slipping...applied severe hand pressure to close them, and the handles just folded in half.

Yes, get *real* Mole ones...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've probably got upwards of a dozen different types. Different sizes too. If you include welding clamps. The smallest with long thin jaws probably gets used the most. For things like stopping an awkwardly positioned bolt head turning while you undo the nut. And light duty clamping of things being glued, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed. BTW the term "Mole Grips" is only a colloquialism. They were always known as a "Mole Wrench".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Both. You can never have too many tools :-)

The straight jaw types are useful for a variety of jobs, I have a 'mini' size pair about 6" overall length which are invaluable. For plumbing jobs the larger curved jaw types work really well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And since a 'wrench' is a spanner, that's the last thing you should use them for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting combination of both

invaluable piece of kit, gives you a third hand when plumbing & doesn't round off brass hexagons.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I somehow acquired a pair which have one flat and one _convex_ toothed face, as: )|. Apart from the unlikely need to grip plano-concave objects, can anyone tell me what they are intended to be used for?

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Not quite. The straight jaws open and close about a pivot so are only parallel at one particular setting, about 15mm on mine.

The exception to this is the Stanley "Locking Adjustable Wrench" already mentioned by TMH .

Reply to
Mike Clarke

If they have the correct curve then the tangent where they meet and object in the jaws will be parallel to the straight jaw. This gives a pure clamping force with no force to push the job out of the jaws.

Reply to
dennis

Absolutely not so Mike with genuine Moles, the jaw stays parallel - that's the whole point of them.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Absolutely!

I have a fair collection of genuine and Chinese. Sure, the latter are rougher but they are cheap. They work for lots of jobs.

Reply to
newshound

I've only got one old genuine Mole grip - and I'd be bereft without it ! (My others are all cheap imitations and all distort the first time you try to grip anything really tight.) My Mole's jaws do taper a bit, so they can grip quite thin things right at the tips of the jaws, but not further back. This I have found to be a useful feature, that is not shared on the imitations.

Spamlet

I have a pair of early 60s Mole "Self-grip wrench". The moving jaw pivots around a single point and the straight jaws are only parallel when the opening is 7/8".

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Not on my vintage genuine Mole wrench they don't -

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Likewise. In fact I've never seen a parallel-jawed version of either genuine Mole or "Chinese-copy" wrenches.

There's no necessity for parallel jaws. If the object to be gripped has parallel faces a "crescent wrench" or a simple adjustable (or fixed) spanner is appropriate - a "Mole Wrench" is really a rather crude tool to grab hold of round or randomly-shaped objects.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks. It looks like I should buy the Irwin vise-grip ones then. Are the Mole brand available? I've not seen them around (but haven't looked too hard yet).

Reply to
Robert