Darn Mole

Moved in to a nice home last June only to find a mole(s) have also. the critter is in a small part of the front lawn, numberous mounds areound the area showing off their tunnels. I treated lawn with GrubEx 3 weeks ago realizing that will reduce grubs in the future.

Am so frustrated, I purchased some MoleTox II, of course store said it was a snap to use.

anything I should be aware of using it?

tks for any tips.

bill

Upstate NY area.

Reply to
billw

What is moletox 2? A bait?

Reply to
Steveo

"What is moletox 2? A bait? "

Now Steveo, according to you, I'm supposed to be just an armchair idiot with bogus advice, but even I know that Moletox is a gel bait mole poison. So, what does that say about you dear?

Reply to
trader4

Oh, and to the OP, I've tried similar gel baits, without much success. Please let us know how it works for you.

Reply to
trader4

What exactly do you trader for, leg humper?

Baits don't work, too bad you didn't know that. I don't keep track of snake-oil baits and sonic zappers. You've likely bought everyone made by now. lol

I've posted mole advice in here recently, go read it and learn something.

Reply to
Buzzard

"Baits don't work, too bad you didn't know that."

Steveo, Buzzard, whoever you are. If you look at my post made 10 mins earlier, at 10:11PM, you'll see I stated:

"Oh, and to the OP, I've tried similar gel baits, without much success. Please let us know how it works for you. "

Check and Mate!

Reply to
trader4

asizzor type mole trap , the one with the two separte wire handles for setting it is the best trap ive used. you have to did a hole in an active tunnel to get it down in there , ive killed 75 moles in the last three years with two of them and the traps were only 13.00 ea i think... baits and poisons and grubex wont get rid of them .i got the traps at gemplers.com .let us know how you make out , im passionate about mole hunting. lucas

Reply to
ds549

Do you practice to act a fool, trader for?

Get off my leg, humpy.

Reply to
Buzzard

That's the plain truth. If moles are still active in your yard, traps are the -best- control. Good advice, ds.

Reply to
Buzzard

Very discouraged here folks, am new to mole elimination as you can see as I was conned into buying the mole bait at the store. Am cluless on traps too. are there services around that do this type of thing. Bought this beatiful home only to be haunted by a freakin mole! or 2.

any help would be appreciated.

bill

Reply to
billw

The out of sight trap is the one I've heard works ok.

Buzzard

if you dont want to trap them yourself, you can hire someone to do it..

Reply to
ds549

I'm sure there are services to do it but,,, It's going to cost you and this will most certainly not be the last time you will have a mole problem. That said, most any decent hardware store will have mole traps. There are two main types, one is a spear type and the other scissors. They're relatively easy to set up and use but are rather gruesome, yet effective if used properly. Everything else is mostly smoke and mirrors. I have used one product called mole scoot (applies via application with hose) that does seem to chase them off but it's never a long term solution (chases the mole to neighboring properties or untreated areas of same property), until it wears off.

Your best bet is to find a source for traps and learn to use them, they're inexpensive, reusable and effective. Naturally you will also want to keep children and pets away from set traps. BTW chances are a service would come out and set traps then return to check them and dispose of the remains. You'd still have to keep children and pets clear. And you'd be paying a premium for their physical presence, (service call) and labor.

Don't know enough yet or which hardware store in your area has them?

joe

Reply to
JoeT

Reply to
Shane

A half stick of dynamite and some gasoline works wonders on a mole hole. Locate every surface entrance and pour one gallon of gasoline into same. Plug holes with 1/2 stick of dynamite with detonation cap. Wire caps with detcord. Retreat to a safe distance, say "Au revoir, Monsieur Mole!" and hit the detcord.

Of course, you may require some slight turf repair after treatment.

billw wrote:

Reply to
John Crichton

I've had good luck with the smoke bombs, particularly when the smoke is pushed with a blower/vac.

On a side note with that, as I build my own smoke bombs I bought materials off of the internet and last week got an "informative" letter from the US Department of Justice informing me of the illegality of fireworks making. Damn, on another list...

Reply to
Dandelion Acres

Here's what worked for me. Get a cat. They are nice pets and 24/7 pest controllers. A cat will rid your yard of moles and keep other pests away. I understand that a lot of people don't like cats but I came to view them in a whole new light after my mole experience. If you don't want to own one, maybe you can borrow one from a friend for a week or two. Try it and let us know how it worked for you. I'm betting you'll be very happy with the results.

Reply to
Winston Smith

I've had great luck with the Exhart Molemover/Gopher-It.

had a terrible mole problem last year so this year I went out and bought three of these things and haven't had a mole since I installed them. I got them at Lowes for $16 a piece plus a four pack of C batteries (which is supposed to last 4months according to the disclamer).

Reply to
p-nut

Tks all for the great advice. I will update you on my dilemma:

I hired a professional today to set 2 traps, he will be back tomorrow to see if they worked. I can't tell you how horrible it is to see your lawn be destroyed like this freakin mole is doing. I'll move before it takes over everything. He also said I probably have "Voles" for gods sakes but traps are like mouse traps for them.

Very expensive to say the least too.

bill

Reply to
billw

As an aside, try a grub prevention application in July. It may eliminate some of the meat they are chowing on. It won't hurt much if it doesn't help, except the cost of the grub-proof.

Reply to
Steveo